ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

chrome browser is so nasty

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
There's also Comodo Chromium Secure and Dragon, both based on Chrome - and IceDragon based on Firefox.

Dragon and IceDragon don't require third-party packaging for a portable installation, just select the option using the normal installer.  With (Ice)Dragon you also have the option to use Comodo's SecureDNS servers, (either for the application, the whole computer, or not at all).

MilesAhead:
I used chromium snapshots on Windows for a couple of years.  It was pretty well-behaved.  Best method is to download the win32 zip.  Even though these are snapshots many are quite stable.  The trick is, when you get one that runs well, back up the settings/profile folder and the one the executable is in, before trying a newer version.  The reason is, if a newer version introduces a new variable, then you run an older version without restoring the profile, it will give an error about unknown or corrupted data in the profile.

Chromium worked well for me.  The main reason I went back to Firefox is I missed certain AddOns.  Here's the link to the snapshot list:

http://commondatastorage.googleapis.com/chromium-browser-continuous/index.html?path=Win/

Afa getting rid of old settings one thing you can try after uninstalling is run CCleaner Registry clean and fix all issues.  Make sure to save the backup as offered before fixing.  I think I only had one build of CCleaner that had a Registry Cleaner bug but it's a good precaution to save the reg file.

(I'm assuming you are talking the Windows version of chrome browser.)

4wd:
Sure you can disable or delete it with 'autoruns' (outstanding systinternals tool), but after Windows reboots you have a second google update entry that is active. Rinse and repeat...-Shades (January 19, 2015, 03:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

Perhaps try:

--- Code: Text ---sc stop gupdatesc stop gupdatemsc delete gupdatesc delete gupdatem
Seemed to do the trick here, (was installed by Google Earth plugin).

Shades:
Didn't bother at the time I was lulled into trying Chrome...then I needed to do a test with Server 2012. Another hard disk was installed and I've booting from that OS ever since.

Still the fact that it wouldn't listen to my (I think not so unreasonable) request to no not start at start-up, was enough for me to not want Chrome at all.

Only at my own behest I will apply updates (which is usually not too long after they come out), because I don't need or want the mess auto-updates can generate. Especially with my sometimes extravagant/unorthodox/bull-headed way of setting up things.

If Chrome works for you, by all means be happy with it. It isn't a bad browser at all. For me, the major turn-off is just the behavior of the baggage that comes along with it.

4wd:
If Chrome works for you, by all means be happy with it. It isn't a bad browser at all. -Shades (January 19, 2015, 07:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't use it because of all the "We're watching you" stuff it comes with, just pointing out anything associated with Google, (Picasa, Google Earth, etc), is going to install that updater service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version