ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

wireless networking and wifi printer help

<< < (9/12) > >>

Vurbal:
My experience with HP is to stick to the real business class products and you'll be fine. T'was a time when that was all they sold, so it was a no-brainer going with HP. The old Laserjets (II/3/4/5/81xx/85xx, etc.) were built like tanks and un-killable. And they were repairable (often even field repairable) if anything did go wrong.

Then HP (of necessity) got into home/consumer-grade products...and the results are what we live with today.

But I don't completely blame HP's engineers. It's hard to take engineering teams, who were used to designing and building what was often the Rolls-Royce of office and computer equipment, and suddenly expect them to start making "good enough" inexpensive pieces of plastic crap for the masses - most of whom were utterly "price motivated" when out shopping.

"Fast, cheap, reliable - pick any two," as the saying goes. 8)
-40hz (January 22, 2015, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Since HP got serious in the low end business market in the early 2000s, they've done a pretty good job of addressing the cheap part too. If nothing else, you can buy some fantastic HP computers (from server to laptop), and sometimes printers too, for dirt cheap from a lot of electronics recyclers. When it comes to desktops, laptops, and, to a certain extent, printers, you can save a lot of money just because they don't have all the bells and whistles used to justify the price of most consumer hardware.

4wd:
Then HP (of necessity) got into home/consumer-grade products...and the results are what we live with today. -40hz (January 22, 2015, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Still got a Deskjet 932C that churns out mono prints, (colour cartridges too expensive to replace, otherwise it would be printing in colour), after ~12 years.

Occasionally eats a sheet of paper but apart from that it doesn't seem to want to die ... which is annoying as it's getting a bit harder to find black cartridges now, (thank the stars for China and ebay ;D ).

Stoic Joker:
My experience with HP is to stick to the real business class products and you'll be fine. T'was a time when that was all they sold, so it was a no-brainer going with HP. The old Laserjets (II/3/4/5/81xx/85xx, etc.) were built like tanks and un-killable.-40hz (January 22, 2015, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've currently got an HP LaserJet 4050dn here in IT, and a standing threat to shoot anybody that tries to wander off with it.

And they were repairable (often even field repairable) if anything did go wrong.-40hz (January 22, 2015, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

We have a crew of 5 service techs that do HP (and other brands) field repairs, all day, every day. So they are still possible. ;)

Then HP (of necessity) got into home/consumer-grade products...and the results are what we live with today.-40hz (January 22, 2015, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I get where you're coming from here ... And yes, many of the really low end devices are ship to factory for disposal repair only. But I think that's only in the InkJet stuff...I honestly don't recall it ever happening with any of the LaserJets.

But I don't completely blame HP's engineers...-40hz (January 22, 2015, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

While I frequently spend much time swearing at them because of some of the designs...or the fact that they keep moving things. Over all I really like their products. Especially from the networking side where scan to Email/Folder/etc. services have to be tied into customer networks. I've dealt with the UI's from all of the major brands, and many of the fringe/copier brands. HP definitely has the best Embedded Web Server for administrative access going. Yes they tend to be slow as hell (since they went SSL). But they are laid out so that everything needed for a given task is in the section for that task.

app103:
Then HP (of necessity) got into home/consumer-grade products...and the results are what we live with today. -40hz (January 22, 2015, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Still got a Deskjet 932C that churns out mono prints, (colour cartridges too expensive to replace, otherwise it would be printing in colour), after ~12 years.

Occasionally eats a sheet of paper but apart from that it doesn't seem to want to die ... which is annoying as it's getting a bit harder to find black cartridges now, (thank the stars for China and ebay ;D ).
-4wd (January 22, 2015, 03:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

I had a Deskjet 720C, which I loved and used till all the rubber rotted off the carriage belt and the last remaining bare thread snapped.

The ink cartridges were quite expensive, but they lasted a long time. I think I only had to replace mine about once per year, and that's with my daughter doing a TON of color printing. That printer got her through both middle & high school on about 6 sets of cartridges.

I believe I still have a color cartridge from mine, unused, still sealed in its package. I am still looking for a home for it, in case your printer can use it. I know you are not in the US but I would consider shipping it to you if you can use it, rather than throwing it in the trash.

https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=22632.0

4wd:
I know you are not in the US but I would consider shipping it to you if you can use it, rather than throwing it in the trash.-app103 (January 22, 2015, 07:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the offer but mine uses a #78 tri-colour.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version