ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

wireless networking and wifi printer help

<< < (2/12) > >>

Target:
yes, many(!) times...

wirelessly they printer doesn't seem to be visible to the setup program, though it does come up in the network list and I can 'connect' to it manually when it does

I'm thinking I'll have to remove it all (or as much as possible) and start again (yeah yeah, I know I should have done this already >:()

rgdot:
samsung M2835DW...

destructions say it uses 'wifi direct' which I gather is specific (peculiar?) to intel chipsets, though that shouldn't be an impediment to 'normal' operation
-Target (January 18, 2015, 09:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

;D

Using any brand printing via wifi has always been similar to that for me, remove, re-discover and re-add printer

Target:
Using any brand printing via wifi has always been similar to that for me, remove, re-discover and re-add printer-rgdot (January 18, 2015, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

yeah, and try telling that to the kids of today...

progress, meh...

Stoic Joker:
Let me state up front that I don't have a home network - we don't have access to landline based broadband, and there's no other reason to network the 2 PC's in our house.-Target (January 18, 2015, 09:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

As incentives go, this is a pretty good one ... Because printer controlled wireless networks as a rule tend to be roughly half as stable as a acrophobic on an electrified tightrope.

Npte: Many times when a printer goes into power save mode it will drop its wifi connectivity. Without a network, if your PC can't provide the requisite wake-up call, the printer won't come out of power save.-40hz (January 18, 2015, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

While you are 100% correct in theory...in practice the printer is probably just not capable of responding to the wakeup call because of a conflict in its feature set. ergo:

People want "Green" print devices.
People want wireless print devices.
People don't realize that these two options are currently mutually exclusive.

I don't give a damn what the brochure says, I'm talking about what actually happens. Like for instance the $7,000+ Toshiba business copiers that go into Eco-Riffic "Super Sleep" by default in 1 minute...which renders the device inert on the wire until somebody walks over to it and physically presses the device's wake button. And this sort of shenanigan is quite prevalent in the industry. It also gets much worse the closer you get to consumer level devices.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So... Start by disabling any and all sleep functions first. Then if it starts behaving you can look into how best to allow the thing to take a light nap.

One of the main questions that should also be asked, is does the printer itself really need to be wireless? More often than not the answer to this is no. Because the printer is almost always a stationary target that simply needs to be accessible from any moving location. So it really just needs to be accessible by wireless devices. Until they come up with a battery powered printer it's going to be tethered to a wall anyhow so you might as well take the advantage and wire in the network too. It's amazing how many people waste money getting upsold on this rather critical - but often misunderstood - detail.

According to the specs the device has an RJ45 Ethernet port, so get a cheap wireless router, wire the thing to it, and you should be ok. The router will handle the IP scheme, and you won't be left twisting in the wind hoping that some flakey "Cutting Edge" technology will decide to be kind enough to actually work on any given day.

40hz:
One of the main questions that should also be asked, is does the printer itself really need to be wireless? More often than not the answer to this is no. Because the printer is almost always a stationary target that simply needs to be accessible from any moving location. So it really just needs to be accessible by wireless devices. Until they come up with a battery powered printer it's going to be tethered to a wall anyhow so you might as well take the advantage and wire in the network too. It's amazing how many people waste money getting upsold on this rather critical - but often misunderstood - detail.

According to the specs the device has an RJ45 Ethernet port, so get a cheap wireless router, wire the thing to it, and you should be ok. The router will handle the IP scheme, and you won't be left twisting in the wind hoping that some flakey "Cutting Edge" technology will decide to be kind enough to actually work on any given day.
-Stoic Joker (January 19, 2015, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Bingo! Although the Brother MFC-8710DW I recently bought for the house (thereby neatly breaking my own 'rules' about "wired before wireless" and "no multifunction devices") worked fine right out of the box in that regard. Unboxed it, stuck it in a corner of the den, fired it up, connected it via it's wireless to one of our access points using the front panel, and Bob was my uncle. Windows, Linux, Nook, and all our smartphones (iOS and Android) are perfectly happy printing through it via wifi.

I'll confess I did more research than usual before I bought it - primarily as a backup copier that could do 2-sided and legal. But I did pay attention to user feedback on how well its wireless features worked since that's always been the Achilles Heel with this class of product. The feedback wasn't exactly stellar. But it was noticeably better than anything else I looked at. YMMV.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version