ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

wireless networking and wifi printer help

<< < (7/12) > >>

40hz:
It probably depends on the model and make. Good designs default to the fastest connection available. So if you cable in, it uses that connection instead of wifi.

My Brother multifunction now has a cable plugged into it. It seems fine with that. The original wifi setup is still in place too. If I pull the cable, wireless takes over seamlessly. And direct wireless printing works fine too.

I like having that separate direct print capability for when I have clients or friends over who need to print something from their phone or laptop. That way I don't have to give them access to my home or office network to do it.

YMMV

xtabber:
My experience with low end Samsung printers is very discouraging, whereas I have had nothing but good results with Brother.

I have set up several technologically challenged elder relatives with inexpensive Brother wireless printers  (e.g., 22780DW) and had no problems at all, unlike with the Samsungs that they replaced in some cases.

40hz:
My experience with low end Samsung printers is very discouraging, whereas I have had nothing but good results with Brother.

I have set up several technologically challenged elder relatives with inexpensive Brother wireless printers  (e.g., 22780DW) and had no problems at all, unlike with the Samsungs that they replaced in some cases.

-xtabber (January 22, 2015, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

@xtabber - That's good news to hear. This was my first Brother multifunction appliance purchase (for myself) and I was a little leery of dropping about $250 on this type of device.

However, one of my clients, who is an attorney (and probably one of the most tech savvy 'civilians' I know), swears by Brother printers. His blessing off on the model I eventually decided on (he owns two of them) was the tipping point for me to haul out some plastic and get one.

So far so good. I'm now on my second toner cartridge and it's working like a champ. Being monochrome laser, it's fairly economical too.
 :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
Well...it's certainly more convenient than finding a crossover cable.-40hz (January 22, 2015, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

While true, it's amazing how many things are auto crossing these days.

My experience with low end Samsung printers is very discouraging, whereas I have had nothing but good results with Brother.-xtabber (January 22, 2015, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

In the interest of clarity I'll mention that I'm the Network/Systems Admin for an HP Authorized Service Provider. However we do handle other brands, and service most any of them. One of the exceptions, is Samsung, which we jettisoned after less than a year. Brother we service, but do so infrequently as they are IMO designed to be disposable, and tend to be rather expensive to repair. On the plus side most do last a good while and will take a fair amount of beating.

Some of the business class HP's actually do have a complete wireless router built into them for handling NFC print jobs from mobile devices ... But I believe they tend to run north of $6,000.

40hz:
Well...it's certainly more convenient than finding a crossover cable.-40hz (January 22, 2015, 07:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

While true, it's amazing how many things are auto crossing these days.

-Stoic Joker (January 22, 2015, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah...Sometimes even intentionally! ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version