ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

I no longer read WIRED - and why I'm glad I stopped reading it years ago

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
They are no more or less annoying than we were at that age to our elders. Because it's fun to piss people off when you're convinced you already know everything.
-Stoic Joker (January 17, 2015, 10:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

No less annoying perhaps. But their ability to do actual harm is far greater than it was possible for us to do when we were that age.

mwb1100:
And I didn't read the whole memo on keeping it neat, but I will say that in two times that I've worked places where I was moved into newly renovated digs, we got what were probably similar memos about keeping the shiny new space "lookin' good".

Unfortunately, real-life always overrides such requests, and desks and walls start getting covered in paper, sticky notes, whiteboards scrawled with god-knows-what and other materials.  If you want work done in a workplace, the artifacts of that work will start messing things up.

TaoPhoenix:
It looks quite literally like the set of some dystopian techo-hell film. I suppose this is just one peek into the mindset of the technocrats.
-Renegade (January 17, 2015, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Again, sometimes life is even creepier than films!

I didn't think it looked like a dys-film at all!
Instead, it looks more like just a boring case of "you're not here to work. You're here to be furniture to my expensive board meetings as the west coast office of Conde Nast."

TaoPhoenix:
Unfortunately, real-life always overrides such requests, and desks and walls start getting covered in paper, sticky notes, whiteboards scrawled with god-knows-what and other materials.  If you want work done in a workplace, the artifacts of that work will start messing things up.
-Innuendo (January 17, 2015, 07:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

The scary parts start when they don't actually want real work done, they want the image because it makes for more money during investment meetings, combined with the stress-deflection of yelling at people to get more work done!

>:(

Renegade:
It looks quite literally like the set of some dystopian techo-hell film. I suppose this is just one peek into the mindset of the technocrats.
-Renegade (January 17, 2015, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Again, sometimes life is even creepier than films!

I didn't think it looked like a dys-film at all!
Instead, it looks more like just a boring case of "you're not here to work. You're here to be furniture to my expensive board meetings as the west coast office of Conde Nast."
-TaoPhoenix (January 18, 2015, 01:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

The way one concrete room is yellow, another blue... It seems forced, sterile, monotonous, much in the same way as in Brave New World, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version