ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Congratulations Terrorists, You are getting what you want!

<< < (4/8) > >>

40hz:

You're making a habit of starting 'basement-style' threads Stephen :p
-tomos (January 13, 2015, 09:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

... and not starting them in the basement...
-wraith808 (January 13, 2015, 09:38 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah. And here I thought it was just me that seemed to be seeing it working way. :P ;D
-40hz (January 13, 2015, 12:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

?????
-Stephen66515 (January 13, 2015, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just that there's times when some of what gets posted (mostly by Ren) feels a lot like it's basement baiting. ;)

CWuestefeld:
Author Charlie Stross posted the best retort to Cameron's idiocy.

Our glorious prime minister, failed TV company marketing director David Cameron, has proposed banning all forms of encryption that can't be broken by the security services. I'm not the only person who thinks this policy is beyond bonkers and well into criminal insanity (even his own deputy prime minister has reservations), but for the record, let me lay out why this is such a bad idea.
--- End quote ---

Worth reading the whole thing.

40hz:
@CU - thx for that link. Charlie is generally worth reading, either for his fiction or non-fiction. :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Just that there's times when some of what gets posted (mostly by Ren) feels a lot like it's basement baiting. ;)
-40hz (January 13, 2015, 01:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Meh... You're just sore that it's illegal for you to collect rainwater, plant tomatoes, have the wrong kind of grass for your front lawn, water that front lawn, not maintain that front lawn, etc. etc. :)

But, I digress. This thread is very much off topic.

One point that should be brought up is that in terms of entropy, both encryption and compression look about the same. They both aim to maximise entropy, though there is a stronger emphasis on this in compression. Still... If I sent a compressed file with no extension and deleted/altered the header, you'd have a hard time knowing which it was.

Using compression schemes like PAQ8PX would also help. (Or high-compression algorithms that are very CPU inefficient.)

TaoPhoenix:
Let's follow the logical outcome:

If the government can read it --> so can the terrorists --> and so can other unfriendly governments --> and if encryption is banned, then the government can't use encryption either --> so state secrets won't be very secret.

Yep. This is definitely for "homeland security" and the children! :D
-Deozaan (January 13, 2015, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh (several draft long rants deleted).

It just comes down to some kind of slippery moebius-logic that tries to do three things all at once, until the social version of dividing by zero finally dumps out on his head.

Meanwhile, whoever got short term payoffs from all this just slips away, while still sending encrypted emails.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version