ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

home automation

<< < (2/4) > >>

Renegade:
+1 w/Renegade. I'm actually doing as much as possible to reduce my technical and energy footprint these days. My new goal: As little as possible - and simplify, simplify, simplify.
 :)
-40hz (January 12, 2015, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Home automation could actually reduce your energy footprint though.
-phitsc (January 13, 2015, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

At what cost?

I do a lot of work in the smart device industry, which is just one part of the Internet of Things (IoT). I've also done work on IoT infrastructure, and had a few policy papers come across my desk.

In order to get those resource savings (electricity, gas, water), you're literally telling your utility company (and anyone that wants to hack the insecure systems that are used/will be used) what time you went to the bathroom and whether you took a pee or poo.

I really need to emphasise this: **I AM NOT EXAGGERATING IN THE LEAST. IF ANYTHING, I AM UNDERSTATING THE CASE.**

Smart devices and the IoT are a hellish nightmare.

Now, you can do home automation without the dystopian nightmare, but it requires you to run your own servers in the house without an Internet connection, or with high-levels of security. Your average home owner doesn't have the resources or know-how to do this.

Here's the theme song for the IoT.

40hz:
+1 w/Renegade. I'm actually doing as much as possible to reduce my technical and energy footprint these days. My new goal: As little as possible - and simplify, simplify, simplify.
 :)
-40hz (January 12, 2015, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Home automation could actually reduce your energy footprint though.
-phitsc (January 13, 2015, 01:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Certainly. In some circumstances at least. But only if you want to have your cake and eat it too as far as I can see. Like having devices powered up all the time - but not using as much electricity to do so, for example.

I see that approach more as having increasing efficiency as your primary goal rather than reducing absolute consumption and dependency.

But in fairness, that's probably more a philosophical than physical distinction I'm making. Especially since one less kilowatt consumed is one less kilowatt consumed, no matter what the motivation was behind it.
 ;D 8)

bit:
Mowing the lawn.
The price of robo-mowers is way too high.

40hz:
Mowing the lawn.
-bit (January 14, 2015, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Rather than a highly 'inefficient' and difficult to maintain grass lawn, why not just naturalize?

Possible answers:

* Too much personal fondness for the color green to give it up
* Non-standard landscaping may reduce your property's market value
* You have small livestock to feed
* Your homeowner's association agreement may not allow it
* It may be illegal where you live (no joke btw!)
 8)

Renegade:
Mowing the lawn.
-bit (January 14, 2015, 09:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Rather than a highly 'inefficient' and difficult to maintain grass lawn, why not just naturalize?

Possible answers:

* Too much personal fondness for the color green to give it up
* Non-standard landscaping may reduce your property's market value
* You have small livestock to feed
* Your homeowner's association agreement may not allow it
* It may be illegal where you live (no joke btw!)
 8)

-40hz (January 14, 2015, 09:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

FWIW - A year or three ago (I forget), my mother was complaining to me about someone down the street who has an overgrown front yard. She described it as extremely overgrown. I told her to be thankful that they had that freedom. You can quite literally lose your home in some places for it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version