ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

home automation

<< < (3/4) > >>

SeraphimLabs:
The town gets mad if you put goats on your lawn to keep the grass short.

They get just as mad if you don't mow it at all.

Clearly this is a conspiracy to sell more lawn mowers and greatly increase greenhouse emissions between fuel-burning noisy lawnmowers and the fact that freshly cut grass is apparently HORRIBLE about emissions. There's been quite a few studies about that.

I've actually been building a little bit towards home automation though, purely for the sake of convenience.

Everything of course still retains hard mechanical overrides such as the ever reliable off switch that physically interrupts the power supply, but at the same time outside of emergency situations it is really nice to be able to configure household equipment to suit the situation without having to actually adjust each piece of equipment.

And its all energy efficient too, taking advantage of recent improvements in microprocessor technology to push the controller power consumption down to extremely tiny amounts, paired with energy-efficient appliances and lighting because lets face it I'm cheap when it comes to paying companies that I think are trying to screw people.

40hz:
FWIW - A year or three ago (I forget), my mother was complaining to me about someone down the street who has an overgrown front yard. She described it as extremely overgrown. I told her to be thankful that they had that freedom. You can quite literally lose your home in some places for it.
-Renegade (January 14, 2015, 09:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

My town has an 'eyesore' ordinance. Fortunately, they seem to have confined the actual enforcement of it to property that includes trash piles, signs of illegal dumping, or 'abandoned' (i.e. unrepairable, rusting and unregistered) motor vehicles. The ordinance provides for graduated fines - and in extreme cases - property seizure.

To date, the town has limited its focus primarily to undeveloped property and limited its enforcement to fines and consent decrees that required the owner clean up their property. However, the ordinance is so broadly worded that there's no reason why they would have to. I don't believe any property has been seized. To date anyway. But it would be interesting to see what would happen if somebody were to decide to start a honeybee and chicken farm on their front lawn. Or just do it up as a natural wooded lot...especially if !!!CHILDREN!!! were living on the same street.

:-\

KynloStephen66515:
I get the feeling that 90% of "kalos posts" are some sort of homework assignment and you lot are unknowingly completing them for him.

tomos:
I get the feeling that 90% of "kalos posts" are some sort of homework assignment and you lot are unknowingly completing them for him.
-Stephen66515 (January 16, 2015, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think we're not doing a very good job of it though :-/

Stoic Joker:
-Stephen66515 (January 16, 2015, 05:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think we're not doing a very good job of it though :-/
-tomos (January 16, 2015, 05:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

...That depends entirely on what grade he's after (too many A's draw attention - Ya know..). ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version