ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

ideas that will change society

<< < (2/8) > >>

skwire:
tell me please ideas that can change society!-kalos (January 12, 2015, 02:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hell, if I could predict that, I'd be rich and retired.   ;D

MilesAhead:
I don't think an idea by itself has much effect.  It's not only what is said but who said it.

I suspect during the 50s and 60s in an effort to impress certain advice on people, many quotes were attributed to Albert Einstein.  It stands to reason that if other geniuses, like Woody Allen or Yogi Berra, only produced a dozen or fewer really pithy sayings, it's not likely Einstein uttered all that stuff under his name.  The name was synonymous with genius in those years.  That was promoted and exploited.

As a simple example, somebody came up with the idea to paint the word Ambulance backwards on the front of same so that drivers would see it the right way around in their rear view mirrors.  Why you would need the word when a speeding vehicle with flashing lights is behind you I don't know.  But I know if I thought of doing that everyone would say what a really stupid idea it was and not paint any ambulances as described.

Perhaps the person had an automotive painting business?

crabby3:
Idea: Have devices in emergency vehicles that can change red traffic lights to green... for the direction they are headed or the lane they are in.

@MilesAhead
Woody and Yogi are a couple of my favorites.  So are Buzz and Boo Boo.   ;D

Stoic Joker:
The therapeutic value of dark humor:

Why you would need the word when a speeding vehicle with flashing lights is behind you I don't know.-MilesAhead (January 13, 2015, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

I have had a seriously fucked up day, but that darkly keen observation actually made me laugh for the first time today.

Thank you.

TaoPhoenix:
I don't think an idea by itself has much effect.  It's not only what is said but who said it.

I suspect during the 50s and 60s in an effort to impress certain advice on people, many quotes were attributed to Albert Einstein.  It stands to reason that if other geniuses, like Woody Allen or Yogi Berra, only produced a dozen or fewer really pithy sayings, it's not likely Einstein uttered all that stuff under his name.  The name was synonymous with genius in those years.  That was promoted and exploited.
-MilesAhead (January 13, 2015, 11:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

Maybe, but without modern recording tech, it's hard to know.

Some bright people also had talents for just reeling off thoughtful two liner aphorisms like a riverboat dealer with nine people at the table. Ralph Waldo Emerson is the quickest to come to my mind, maybe Mark Twain as well, as two of the "older generation".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version