ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

It took 2 years to build this functioning word processor in Minecraft

<< < (3/5) > >>

40hz:

also interesting for someone like me who has never spared much thought about how computers work

-tomos (January 10, 2015, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is pretty amazing once you get into it. They don't actually work like most people think they do. The computing theory and machine architecture (601: Finite and Infinite-State Machines) course I took in college was probably the most fascinating (to me) thing I ever learned about while there. Far more interesting and intellectually pleasing than anything I learned about afterwards to make them actually do something "useful."
 :Thmbsup:

x16wda:
Shouldn't there be a link to this in this thread?  :D

It's all just puzzles, putting the pieces you have together somehow to make it do what you want...

Deozaan:
Shouldn't there be a link to this in this thread?  :D-x16wda (January 10, 2015, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is this thread. :huh:

40hz:
Shouldn't there be a link to this in this thread?  :D-x16wda (January 10, 2015, 05:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

That is this thread. :huh:
-Deozaan (January 10, 2015, 05:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Wheels within wheels I would think.  ;)

Like the definition of recursion that reads: See recursion. ;D

TaoPhoenix:
I'm gonna go even broader and call it "the power of 'just because I can'  " .

At its peak is the fundamental clash that created the renaissance!!

-TaoPhoenix (January 10, 2015, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

And, unchecked by any notion of humility or morality, also brought the human race an untold deal of pain and misery.

That's why I'm always somewhat grateful whenever I see somebody channelling their obsessions into a benign artistic endeavour.

Especially when you consider how the person who has the drive (and gluteal stamina) to program an entire working computer into a computer game - or build a miniature dollhouse within a miniature dollhouse, within a dollhouse - is surely capable of doing ever so much else besides.

;D
-40hz (January 10, 2015, 02:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I see story material everywhere - it's like a genie offered him salvation. "Look. Your fate was destined for you to make a bomb with its own AI. Let's not do that. How about you play with Minecraft instead, and 4000 people get to keep their lives. Deal?"

:tellme:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version