ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

It took 2 years to build this functioning word processor in Minecraft

<< < (2/5) > >>

40hz:
One has to admire the obsession and dedication to the art of building something "because I can." I'd put this right up there with with the miniaturist who built a dollhouse with a playroom that contained a miniature version of itself accurate to the smallest detail. And within that second dollhouse's playroom was an even tinier (of necessity less detailed - but still easily recognizable) version of itself. Talk about turtles all the way down!

Note: IIRC there was one old-time and very popular DOS adventure game that had a fully functioning wordprocessor built in. Push a button and you could type a memo if you wanted to. But that was more a "the boss is coming" feature. Anybody remember what that game was?

wraith808:
But.......why?
-Stephen66515 (January 10, 2015, 01:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

People get entertainment from a variety of things.  So I don't think- not being that person- that the first question should be 'Why?' as is the norm these days.

One has to admire the obsession and dedication to the art of building something "because I can." I'd put this right up there with with the miniaturist who built a dollhouse with a playroom that contained a miniature version of itself accurate to the smallest detail. And within that second dollhouse's playroom was an even tinier (of necessity less detailed - but still easily recognizable) version of itself. Talk about turtles all the way down!
-40hz (January 10, 2015, 08:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

This is a more admirable response when the motivation is not shared, in my opinion.  :Thmbsup:

TaoPhoenix:
I'm gonna go even broader and call it "the power of 'just because I can'  " .

At its peak is the fundamental clash that created the renaissance!! The cutting edge news of 1515 (to be funny about an arbitrary date) was that people were starting to get annoyed/tired of quoting Aristotle for millenia. People just did experiments "just to do stuff". And often enough for it all to be worthwhile, "pure research" does drive tech. A lot of overly efficient "applied science" promoters try to "take shortcuts" by milking dry the lowest hanging results, leaving someone else stuck with the hard ones after they made their easy money, usually with a little smoke and misdirection thrown in.

Our sense of humor is why we put little funny spins on our pure research. So yes, why not a word processor in Minecraft? It's a subset of "functionality in a limited system".

Also, there are levels of projects you can just dabble at for a week and put away. It doesn't require a full onslaught to be interesting. For example, in Russia in parts of the 1800's, French was actually the aristocratic language. So I once bought five different translations of War and Peace to check how the English translator handled actual French phrases in the original.

40hz:
I'm gonna go even broader and call it "the power of 'just because I can'  " .

At its peak is the fundamental clash that created the renaissance!!

-TaoPhoenix (January 10, 2015, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

And, unchecked by any notion of humility or morality, also brought the human race an untold deal of pain and misery.

That's why I'm always somewhat grateful whenever I see somebody channelling their obsessions into a benign artistic endeavour.

Especially when you consider how the person who has the drive (and gluteal stamina) to program an entire working computer into a computer game - or build a miniature dollhouse within a miniature dollhouse, within a dollhouse - is surely capable of doing ever so much else besides.

;D

tomos:
They give a link there at the end to a 16bit computer:

also interesting for someone like me who has never spared much thought about how computers work

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version