ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: In-place upgrade of Mint 17.0 Qiana to Mint 17.1 Rebecca

<< < (4/8) > >>

40hz:
In the interests of completeness, Igor Ljubuncic over at his Dedoimedo blog posted a fairly negative review of Rebecca. He had problems with it, which comes as no surprise considering this was his setup:

The setup

I decided to try Rebecca on my Nvidia-powered HP laptop, a 2010 system, rather than the standard quad-boot T61, which I most often use for testing. The reason is, the Pavilion box already runs a dual-boot of Qiana and Windows 7 internally, and it's a pretty robust setup.

However, I did not want to displace the internal installation just yet, so I hooked up an external 640GB disk, which contains some five - used to be six - other distros, mostly older attempts from two years back or so. This means we will be testing a seven-boot setup and Nvidia drivers instead of the more usual SSD quad-boot combo. Not bad.
--- End quote ---

I'm not going to even bother elaborate on all the potential issues a setup like that is likely to experience. Suffice to say, using a different machine than you normally use for testing; and doing an install to an external drive in a seven-boot (!) arrangement is bound to introduce some difficulties 99% (or better) of all users trying or using Rebecca will never experience.

And troubles Igor had.

Unfortunately, I can't agree much with the validity of some of his conclusions:

Conclusion

What happened? I do not know. Maybe I was just being unlucky. Maybe my HP desktop sucks, and you should avoid Broadcom in Linux. But that's really a lame excuse, if you think about it, because both Qiana and Windows 7, resident on the internal hard disk, behave quite well. Which makes Rebecca a big disappointment.

I don't have a good way of glossing over the issues I've encountered during the preparation of this review. Mint 17.1 did not perform well in my tests. For a range of reasons, package management and desktop customizations were quite horrible, with crashes and hangs. Not acceptable. Then, there are a few other smaller issues that can and should be easily fixed. Overall, though, I can't recommend Rebecca. You'd better stay with Qiana. I will be doing some more testing in the future, for sure, but at the time being, you might skip this. Grade, 6/10.

Cheers.
--- End quote ---

To me, it sounds like he just got a bad install. External USB hard drives (which he seems to gloss over) are somewhat notorious for having sporadic problems with Linux installations. Hardly surprising since most of them were not engineered to be used as the regular boot device on a production system.

So ok...lets see...

Igor:

* Doesn't really know what happened
* Installed on an external drive - but dismisses that since Mint 17.0 is running correctly on the internal drive in the same machine. Apples and oranges...
* Didn't bother to try a second installation in case there were timing or other issues with the external drive he was using
* Didn't bother to try to install it in a sane manner rather than as a "cool" 7-boot science fair project
Yeah, ok...fine. He's entitled to his opinion I suppose. But his 'test' was hardly anything I consider "good enough" to go by.

The only reason I bothered to post this is because Dedoimedo is a very well-respected and widely read blog. And it's reputation is genuinely earned. It's a very good place to "learn a lot about a lot" as it's byline says. So when I see a really half-assed review that glosses over so many obvious issues with how it was done - and then reaches the conclusions it does, I have to say something. Not because I don't respect Igor and Dedoimedo. But rather because I do. And in this case, his review of Rebecca was not up to his usual high standards.

And the only reason I've bothered to post this here rather than as a comment on Dedoimedo is because Igor's blog isn't provisioned to accept user comments.

Which is fine. I've said what I have to say to the people I want to say it to. :Thmbsup:

Deozaan:
Reading through his "review" it seems to me that almost all of the problems he encountered were due to the problems he had with the flaky broadcom adapter, which may or may not have been caused due to problems during the 7-boot install.

Package manager downloading things slowly? Yeah, that's probably because your wifi adapter is flaking out.
Some repositories are timing out or "broken"? Yeah, flaky wifi adapter.
Checksum mismatches? Probably didn't download it correctly due to your flaky adapter.

Et cetera.

40hz:
regarding Rebecca KDE...

I downloaded the KDE flavor last night and finally got around to installing it to check it out. It's been a while since I've last booted into KDE. Mostly because I had no patience awhile back with where the devs were trying to take it. Which was before they finally woke up and decided to start listening to their users again. Those were some bad times for KDE. Thank the fates those days are behind us.

So after the usual format/install dialogs it was up and running.

You know what? It's fast. And it's nice. Very nice. Especially when you add some additional packages and start (re)exploring all those nifty "K-apps." I had forgotten how well done the Calligra suite of apps is.

Right now this is all running on an HP laptop (i5-2430/8Gb RAM/Radeon6400/Intel Wireless N-1030). Install was uneventful and everything came up perfectly when it was finished. WiFi ready to go after the password for the WAP got entered, screen resolution and color properly configured, wired connection good, etc. etc. etc. Repository links all solid and fast.

There's a lot to like here. If you are someone who doesn't care for Cinnamon/MATE/Xfce - or you're a KDE diehard - give this flavor of Mint a spin.
 :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
 :D

Gwen7:
i gave it a go last weekend. everything went smoothly and upgraded fine. how nice!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version