ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX: In-place upgrade of Mint 17.0 Qiana to Mint 17.1 Rebecca

<< < (3/8) > >>

Josh:
Is 17.1 the release where we will see KDE 5?

40hz:
Is 17.1 the release where we will see KDE 5?
-Josh (January 13, 2015, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's currently rocking 4.14. I'm guessing that won't go to version 5 in the LTS since KDE 5 is nowhere near finished last I heard. They'll probably debut it in one of the 'regular' releases long before they commit that big a change to a LTS.

From the Q&A:

Justin Says:
January 8th, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Any plans on utilizing KDE Plasma 5? in 17.2 or 18?

Edit by Clem: It’s too soon to say, it really depends on how fast it improves and how stable it gets. What I can say is that we’re keeping an eye on it and reviewing it for every cycle.

--- End quote ---

8)

Deozaan:
I posted about my complaints and got a nice response: :Thmbsup:

Edit by Clem: Hi, I understand it can be annoying but I also know for a fact many people will not actually click the link if they can just press Next, in fact many won’t even look at the page containing the link… With that said, we can probably improve the experience by trying to detect if you already read these pages. On a scale of 1 to 10 we’re close to 10 here in “getting in the way” and that goes against what Mint is, as an OS.. so I agree with you. We do want people to read these, but we’re certainly not doing this the right way. We’ll go back to the drawing board and try to make this better for the next cycle.
-http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2757#comment-114576
--- End quote ---

40hz:
I posted about my complaints and got a nice response: :Thmbsup:

Edit by Clem: Hi, I understand it can be annoying but I also know for a fact many people will not actually click the link if they can just press Next, in fact many won’t even look at the page containing the link… With that said, we can probably improve the experience by trying to detect if you already read these pages. On a scale of 1 to 10 we’re close to 10 here in “getting in the way” and that goes against what Mint is, as an OS.. so I agree with you. We do want people to read these, but we’re certainly not doing this the right way. We’ll go back to the drawing board and try to make this better for the next cycle.
-http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2757#comment-114576
--- End quote ---
-Deozaan (January 13, 2015, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's one of the things I like about the Linux world in general, and Mint in particular. There's still that personal touch.

I hope Clement & Co. can keep it up. (Because there was a time when Ubuntu was like that until Mark Shuttleworth began to see himself as the new Steve Jobs and insert his 'vision' into the developer end of that distro.) :tellme:

TaoPhoenix:
The LTS versions of Linux usually run for 3-5 years rather than ten.

That doesn't mean nothing in it's core or kernal won't be changed during that period. It just means that any changes will be fully supported for the duration of the release.
To me, the two good reasons for going to a newer release are: (a) security patches; (b) better hardware and driver support.
-40hz (January 13, 2015, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---

All good stuff gang, maybe I can try to clarify a little on my (admittedly fuzzy) defs.

First, I considered security patches to explicitly be "non-core" in the sense that the "underlying engine" isn't getting overhauled dramatically; they're just doing like it says, "patching" something.

And even if a powerful new feature appears, if I don't use it, it's irrelevant in my case. But I normally (!) trust that the feature will get both refined and follow along to new versions. So eventually when enough stuff finally hits a milestone, it's time to upgrade. Then all the new stuff I've noted in passing shows up all at once, and for the same "re-tweak time", it feels more efficient and noticeable.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version