ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

If Only Once, If Only For A Little While - Comic about loss

<< < (3/5) > >>

40hz:
Leaving aside reading music which I never really learned,
-TaoPhoenix (January 06, 2015, 01:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interestingly, the only accurate way to notate guitar music is with TAB. Going off a normal staff arrangement doesn't tell you which A, for example, you should be playing. Is it at the 17th fret of the E-string, the 12th fret on the A-string, the seventh fret on the D-string or the second fret on the G? Although technically the "same" note (at least on a staff), they each have a noticeably different timbral quality, a slightly different response time, and a significantly different sustain-decay ratio. That's due to the difference in string sounding-length, gauge, tension, and construction (i.e. wound vs unwound).

That difference is something that's routinely used to good artistic effect by masters of the guitar. It's not just what notes you play, it's also where and on what strings that makes a difference. Bass players too, where the differences between neck position and string being used are very audible. Even to an untrained ear.

Then there's how you play a chord...

As with single notes, there are many different patterns to get the same chord. But some work better than others because of the specific inversion found in the triad; or because of which notes happen to be doubled in the chord, and where and on what strings it's played. That is what makes the biggest audible difference in sound between the "exact same" guitar chords. And to get an accurate chord transcription you also can’t use traditional music notation. You need the actual chord diagrams to duplicate what the guitarist is playing.

TAB and chord diagrams...their use is often mocked by "classically trained" musicians. But the simple truth is: they're the only closest to accurate way to notate guitar music.

8)

tomos:
For us non musicians, what does that music mean in the context of the thread?
I guess this may answer that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_minor#Mozart.27s_use_of_G_minor

40hz:
Although a girl recently told me she thinks in shapes
-superboyac (January 06, 2015, 01:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think most guitarists and electric bass players do. Guitarists are almost always taught the "chord shape"CAGED system today. Which was probably one of the biggest breakthroughs ever when it came to teaching the instrument. It's close to being the periodic table for the guitar neck.

Just throw in the Circle of Fifths - usually approached as the Circle of Fourths with guitar (it's the same thing actually) - because of the dominance of I-IV-V and V-I chord progressions in guitar music. And finally add in the seven modern Modes and you have 99% of all the "theory" you'll ever need to become a good guitarist.
 8)

TaoPhoenix:
Wrong on both counts... (1) the easier conceptually, which is my opinion.  (2) doesn't morph into anything else... well b/c♭ and f/e# want to have a talk with you.  ;D
-wraith808 (January 06, 2015, 02:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh well maybe we have Schrodinger cat meaning!

If you consider a key as "that key", and you start plunking it, you don't end up with anything other than "that note" and you can't get "that note" any other way except maybe truly strangely set up prototypes where you can change the pitch manually with a bar by hand while playing.

The nomenclature thing just reminds me of something like American/British English or maybe Parisian/Canadian French - just a little nomenclature memory and it can't go very far like the English units/ Metric conversions.

You don't get any/much of this stuff per 40hz:

Interestingly, the only accurate way to notate guitar music is with TAB. Going off a normal staff arrangement doesn't tell you which A, for example, you should be playing. Is it at the 17th fret of the E-string, the 12th fret on the A-string, the seventh fret on the D-string or the second fret on the G? Although technically the "same" note (at least on a staff), they each have a noticeably different timbral quality, a slightly different response time, and a significantly different sustain-decay ratio. That's due to the difference in string sounding-length, gauge, tension, and construction (i.e. wound vs unwound).
-40hz (January 06, 2015, 03:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

40hz:
For us non musicians, what does that music mean in the context of the thread?
I guess this may answer that:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_minor#Mozart.27s_use_of_G_minor
-tomos (January 06, 2015, 03:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

And here I thought I was being obscurely clever. Or cleverly obscure picking G minor. But Mozart did too? Wow! Who knew?

So... yeah. I've always been firmly convinced that the different keys each have their own unique personalities and moods. Hence me selecting G♭ minor in response to Mouser, as opposed to choosing A minor - or even G minor for that matter. To my mind, the key of G♭ minor is the embodiment of melancholia and heartache. Your ears may hear it differently. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version