topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: unitypdf project will be ended at the end of January 2015 !!!!  (Read 3983 times)

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi
unitypdf  project will be ended at the end of January 2015 !!!! so download the latest version

To make a long story short, we don't have any income anymore from several months and providing free, reliable and useful software require time and money. Unfortunately we cannot continue to maintain this project correctly and we have decided to end the project (and the hosting) of UnityPDF at the end of January. So, don't miss the last download final release and keep preciously a copy of it. All the UnityPDF team wants to thank you for your support, your messages and contributions (translators) and hope you enjoyed the UnityPDF features.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: unitypdf project will be ended at the end of January 2015 !!!!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 08:08 AM »
I had never come across this software before, but managed to find this: UnityPDF [Review]

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 08:24 AM »
That's a shame!

I downloaded my copy just now.

I looked at some of the notes - if Google was giving you trouble, maybe you could work out a deal with someone to transfer over to someone who can put some backbone into it, and if Google tries to give them trouble, they can dig in and find out how to keep it going.

There aren't so many tools that let you actually modify PDF files like this.

Also, it would be cool if someone could splice this into "the other side" which is a PDF reader. Then it would def come into the running to be a poor man's alternative to Adobe.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 08:34 AM »
I had never come across this software before, but managed to find this: UnityPDF [Review]

Yeah, I share some of those concerns. It feels like "half a program".

It's slowly growing that the "golden age" of free spirited developers working on new projects is starting to wane. And when a dev runs out of time, a bad habit is growing that they sit on the problem for "some months" (or more!), then rush the ending "so, we can't support this any more, so we'll close down in 25 days." Notice they even mentioned "we won't host it anymore" - that just feels like a red herring. Hosts out there are screaming for new clients in the onslaught of Facebook, and unlike TrueCrypt with severe security implications, this is "just a PDF handler" - dead on the money to transfer hosting for sure, and possibly even development to someone.

So, I'm sorry for being a little grumpy, but I'm starting not to like this "take my ball and go home" philosophy that's seeping around the edges.

Some of us were talking about some declines in the shareware world, and this is one of the reasons why.

And ha14 - are you part of that team? You're right you can't just "do a free for personal use and make commercial companies pay" - if not for the workers doing it themselves, mid level managers of all types get sleazy and don't want to pay for licensing.

I firmly believe that you make a free version for *anyone* that does *almost* everything, and then *very very carefully* pick a couple of world class stunning Pro features that no one else has (because you look over the market) and that's what the biz will pay for because biz's have money if it really works.

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 07:33 AM »
And ha14 - are you part of that team? You're right you can't just "do a free for personal use and make commercial companies pay" - if not for the workers doing it themselves, mid level managers of all types get sleazy and don't want to pay for licensing.
No official connection with UnityPdf, i loved the portable version, handy but sad that they have to go away from the scene.