ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

editor with built-in column or tiling facility - (Listhings comes close)

<< < (2/4) > >>

Steven Avery:
So far, so good.

In review.
There are really 3-4 distinct ways to accomplish this full visual note with frequent update idea.
This has come up on DC.

===

Stickies: PNotes. (StickyPostr, Stickies, NoteZilla) 
And I have a post in on the PNotes forum
https://sourceforge.net/p/pnotes/discussion/762673/thread/bc18edd8/#2d6b

Net:  Listhings, Stormboard. Maybe a bunch of others like Padlet.

Apps:  Note software with multi-window feature (not found yet, might also have tabs).

===

also .. Ad hoc: using Windows tools to create ad hoc, maybe TaskSpace or TaskLayout.
And/or virtual desktop like GoScreen.  However, this has to work with some elements
similar to the above. It can just help in minimizing/maximizing and choosing amount
of real estate.

===================================

btw, a beginners question. I use MaxMax to clear space for some special icons (like kill Firefox) on the right.
If I wanted to clear the desktop from the System Tray or Taskbar, best method? Rather than the keyboard shortcut.
Just make a .bat file with .. something?  And how about a Restore Desktop followup ? That could be on the desktop,
or the system tray.

Steven

Steven Avery:
Correction:

PNotes does have "Pin Note to Window" . Related to Apps.  No fundamental lack compared to Notezilla and Stickies,
although implementations differ.

Mabye pin to the TaskSpace Window will let a TaskSpace bring up a set of notes cleanly.

vmars316:
PsPad does a great job with 'column capture'
and its freeware , and portable .
http://www.pspad.com/en/download.php
...vm

Steven Avery:
However, it looks like it would be hard to fake out these row-oriented programmer editor's into thinking like a
full-screen note-pad. e.g. you would want to have the:

a) rows hard coded, creating a carriage return for any text leading into the new column. The cursor is forcing you to enter as a block.
  b) full-screen mode to be natural, allowing change of size on groups of lines.

Anybody succeed in that?

If you go into a program like Rightnote, without columns, you end up with huge amounts of white space and the inability to use the screen real estate productively.  (That is, on short choppy notes like To-Do lists .. it is superb for keeping written document style writing, even good unicode as I remember for Greek and maybe Hebrew fonts.)

The comparison is with various sticky notes implementations and web pages like listhings and note.ly and lino.
And somewhat artificial attempts to create a task work area.

Those can work, but not with super-ease. e.g. The web pages have very limited rtf, and your making of the columns, while pretty (different background colors) is a clunky manual endeavor.  You don't even have a template or easy copy capability.   So far, the one I like most is listhings because of a very nice tab implementation and quick writing capability, it can be used quite successfully for a full catalog of notes, with sharing capabilities. However RTF is simply stuff like bold and italics and there it seems there is no more development of the program.

By far the nicest method for many purposes would be within a *** note-taking program ***. (Either single-function or with a PIM.)
Even if it did not have any net integration other than Dropbox style.

Steven

Steven Avery:
Here is why NoteZilla seems is becoming my desktop note program.
(The notes themselves are a WIP.)

The purpose is to show how NoteZilla can become a full-page and multi-page (tree) columned note system.
Using their memoboard structure, which is not in Stickies and PNote.

Have not found that it has a snap-to-grid type of arrangement.
And I don't think they have templates.
Tabs would be nice.

Those are all potential extras to the basic utility.

No forum, lots of updates recently

And have not tested out the push sending to other puters (likely they need licenses).

For this purpose of notes, RTF, with columns and a tree structure, NoteZilla can be a fine tool.
The top and left can be made bigger or sent right to the edge.

(Also seems as good as anybody, so far, for web page notes.)

btw ... NoteZilla, PNote and Stickies all take pictures from the clipboard.

PNote control manager (manager) has a full but cluttered icon bar without text, Stickies has nothing there,
NoteZilla is very good (see the pic.)

====================================================

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version