ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

List of 40 inexpensive single-board Linux friendly computers

<< < (3/5) > >>

ewemoa:
The consequences of continued technical development? :)

Deozaan:
Yeah. I think the C1 still has slightly better specifications than the RPi2, but the RPi is a lot more widely adopted/supported, which means that you're more likely to find ARMv7 software that works with the RPi as opposed to having to figure out how to configure and compile things from source yourself for the C1.

f0dder:
Speaking of the RPi2, I ended up buying one last months, because a bunch of my co-workers made a group purchase.

Not sure what to stick on it yet, though - as far as I can tell, Raspian is still built for arm6, and Ubuntu Core is in a veeeery pre-prerelease state (snappy seems like a nice idea, but there's only a handful of packages for it - the system doesn't even have a compiler or vim yet).

So, are there any decent arm7 RasPi2-friendly Linux distros out there?

ewemoa:
If I had a RPi2 (he he), I might consider the following:

http://archlinuxarm.org/platforms/armv7/broadcom/raspberry-pi-2

Deozaan:
One nice thing about the C1 over the RPi/2 is the gigabit ethernet. I was planning to use my C1 as a Plex media server or other Owncloud/NAS type device, and I thought having a fast connection to the network would be really useful for that.

But so far I haven't gotten Plex or Owncloud to work on the C1 how I want them to. Plex refuses to transcode videos because the image I used to install was built for a TV box system with poor CPU capabilities. IMO the C1 can handle transcoding perfectly fine. I converted a 90+ minute mkv to mp4 format in about 2 minutes just to test. I'm sure the C1 could transcode and stream without a problem at that rate. And for Owncloud, I was following a tutorial that had me customize things a bit (by using nginx instead of apache) and somewhere along the way things didn't work as the tutorial said they should.

So for now I've just got a $35 Mumble server. :) But I keep playing with it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version