ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

List of 40 inexpensive single-board Linux friendly computers

(1/5) > >>

40hz:
Courtesy of the good folks over at LinuxGizmos:

Ringing in 2015 with 40 Linux-friendly hacker SBCs
Dec 31, 2014  |  Eric Brown

2014 brought us plenty of new open-spec, community-backed SBCs — from $35 bargains, to octa-core powerhouses — and all with Linux or Android support.

In May of this year, LinuxGizmos and Linux.com collaborated on a joint survey, asking our readers to choose their favorite open-spec hacker SBCs from a list of 32 that run Linux and/or Android. Our SBC survey winners, ranked one to five, included the Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black, Odroid-XU, CubieTruck, and Banana Pi single board computers. Thanks to the flood of new open-spec, community-backed boards, as well as the demise of others, we have updated our list for this end-of-year snapshot.

We’re skipping the survey — and the prizes — this time around, but we hope to offer a similar, but updated list and survey in May or June 2015. With even better prizes.

We removed more than a dozen boards from the list that were no longer in stock, were not being actively supported, were just plain old, or scored too poorly in our last survey to merit inclusion. Some of these, such as the Odroid-XU, were fairly new boards but have already been replaced by newer models (Odroid-XU3). We also added about two-dozen new SBCs, thereby ending up with a total of 40 boards. <more>
--- End quote ---

Read the rest here.

Happy hardware hacking! :Thmbsup:

Ath:
Ah, after reading all that I still can't decide what next board (after the RPi B+ I bought 2 months ago) I'd get for playing :tellme:

rgdot:
USB Armory seems intriguing, what's everybody's opinion about it?

Renegade:
Wow. Quite the write up there!

One of the considerations I use when trying to pick some tech solution/product, is whether or not it will be there in 5 years (or however long) when I need a replacement, or whether there will be some sort of compatible product available -- i.e. Will I need to throw out past efforts and start from scratch? It's never any kind of an exact process, and predicting the future is, well... like playing the lottery. :)

So... I do sometimes wish that reviews included a quick commentary on the manufacturer and about their track record.

Ath:
USB Armory seems intriguing, what's everybody's opinion about it?
-rgdot (January 02, 2015, 11:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
Well, for me it's too small, too application-specific and too expensive compared to many of the other contenders.
I'd go for an RPi-compatible board with more horse-power, as the RPi is 'rather sluggish', to say it nicely :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version