ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Program to copy contents of a cloud drive to a local drive -slowly

<< < (2/2)

IainB:
Not sure whether you are saying you have tried this: If the Cloud storage is something like (say) Google Drive or Box or Wuala, then you could download their software to make a local copy of the drive, which would then sync/update the files as they changed (at either end).
Does the Cloud storage provider you are using not offer something similar? I gather the syncing with these local drive copies is able to be paused as well, if speed/bandwidth or priority were an issue.

MerleOne:
Syncovery supports several clouds and you may limit the transfer speed, AFAIK.

questorfla:
Happy New Year to everyone!
Thanks for all the good suggestions.
One or more of you mentioned the use of the sync provided by the Cloud Service.
Yes, they DO provide "something" that should od it.
BUT with the caveat (provided by them) that in a case like I have now, where I first need to get a local copy equal to the cloud copy, they say to use their "restore" feature.
It got kind of complicated because of various differences in naming and the fact that the only way I could TELL what was IN the cloud copy anyway was to copy it all down.
Running any kind of "dir" check or any other on the map cloud drive gave me totally incorrect answers.

I Knew that there were more than it said there was.  But the only way to Prove it was to copy every single file down to "earth" again.  Which I began doing over the Holidays.  And I have to do this one folder at a time or sometimes one subfolder at a time if they have a lot of files.  If I don't, I start getting a ton of "errors" that show up in a "window" in their application.  These "errors" are also "too late" to do anything about.  This is all due to the way they have this whole mess configured to work through a "hidden cache" folder on the server in Program Data.  Long story but.. the best (and only working) sync app I ever found was AllwaySync. 

The company is named JungleDisk and they sell Rackspace storage through their own apps.  I had to use them due to a need for being able to have the storage accessible to the user via a mapped network drive and this all started before windows 8 was released.
Windows 8.1 I had hoped would give me a better way since it is supposed to provide native support for drive letter mapping to FTP folders but if it does, I can't get it to work.  Not without using NetDrive or Webdrive

I still don't fully  understand why those apps can so easily handle the change to a drive letter while windows (even though it SAYS to click here to get easier access via mapped drive" simple wont do it.  The best you can get is a mapped network place. which won't work for the program that needs access.  It can ONLY recognize a mapped single drive letter.

If anyone knows a way around the windows limitation please let me know.  This is also partially the reason I could not use OneDrive for the same storage.  We have tons of Free OneDrive space but I cant Map to it so.. I cant use it either.
(It also originally had a lot of other limitations but I  have had a lot of material supplied by Microsoft that indices some big changes coming this month, Jan 2015. re: One drive and I still have hopes for it)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version