ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Abbyy screenshot reader

<< < (2/5) > >>

IainB:
I may try OneNote as an additional method.  It says Windows 7 and 8. Also free (is that new?).
-Steven Avery (December 20, 2014, 06:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
there's a couple of threads here about that which are worth reading if you're thinking of using the free version
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?action=search2;search=onenote+free
-tomos (December 20, 2014, 12:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't recommend it as it seems to be purely web-based offer. If the user wants to get the captures into a locally-available OneNote Notebook, then I think he would need to install OneNote on the client.
I'd suggest looking at MS Office 2013 US$9.95 Corporate/Enterprise Home Use Program - Mini-Review
Not $FREE but an amazing deal if you can avail yourself of it.

IainB:
Thought I'd cross-post this relevant item from: Re: free ABBYY Screenshot Reader.
This relates to the above discussion and some separate discussions:
As a result of pursuing the idea of getting OCR data out of any text-containing images in my CHS database (per this request here: Feature request: automatic OCR of captured images.), I "Ducked" (DuckDuckgo) for things relevant to the subject, and happened upon this interesting post:
FREE OCR software: a survey of desktop and online tools - freewaregenius.com
Jun 18, 2013 By Priit 35 Comments
16. ABBYY Screenshot Reader
ABBYY Screenshot Reader is a screen capture software that can do screenshot OCR on the fly. Excellent recognition quality, amazing number of 160+ input languages can be selected, also multiple languages at a time. It can nicely handle data tables. ABBYY Screenshot Reader is reviewed here.

--- End quote ---

Out of interest, I downloaded and installed the free ABBYY OCR clipping tool (it is now v9.0.0.1331) and then ran a comparison between it and OneNote's OCR clipping tool using an image containing a table.
The result? Very interesting. A hands-down win by the ABBYY tool:

--- End quote ---

lanux128:
The previous FREE ABBY Screenshot Reader "RETAIL" (Christmas giveaway) also installed a licence server Service (you cannot seem to run the ABBY software without having that service running). One more overhead.
Presumably this is probably still the case with the latest Christmas giveaway.-IainB (December 20, 2014, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

is this license server service still present in the newer versions?

IainB:
The previous FREE ABBY Screenshot Reader "RETAIL" (Christmas giveaway) also installed a licence server Service (you cannot seem to run the ABBY software without having that service running). One more overhead.
Presumably this is probably still the case with the latest Christmas giveaway.-IainB (December 20, 2014, 04:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
is this license server service still present in the newer versions?
-lanux128 (January 05, 2015, 02:25 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like it. There is a process called the ABBYY NetworkLicenseServer.exe running:

lanux128:
thanks for the info, IainB. i do wonder what is the purpose of phoning home to check the validity of a free version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version