ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Looking for Kubuntu Plasma 5.1 that works with VMWare Player

(1/3) > >>

MilesAhead:
I've been trying to check out KDE 5.1 Plasma but so far the live CD images won't install in VMWare Player.  I can play them but the included theme has no transparency as far as I can see(pun acknowledged.)  Since I can't install I can't download themes and use them etc..

I tried going the Ubuntu 14.10 route and got one to install, but it gives video errors on startup.  I have to boot to the default window manager, get the error, then switch to the Plasma.  If I boot directly to the plasma I get black screen or scrambled eggs.  Just not worth the effort.

Right now I don't have an expendable machine to try installing on the metal.

Deozaan:
Do any of these Known Problems/Known Plasma 5 Problems seem to fit your issue?

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-14.10

MilesAhead:
Do any of these Known Problems/Known Plasma 5 Problems seem to fit your issue?

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-14.10
-Deozaan (December 19, 2014, 07:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

What happens on the install is that the partitioning program reports an error.  It can't partition the virtual drive.  Ubuntu got the same error but installed after I hit Ignore.

Deozaan:
If I boot directly to the plasma I get black screen or scrambled eggs.  Just not worth the effort.-MilesAhead (December 19, 2014, 05:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm experiencing similar video errors when attempting to install Kubuntu 14.10 Plasma 4 or 5 in VirtualBox. I can't get it installed because the graphics are messed up. :-/

MilesAhead:
If I boot directly to the plasma I get black screen or scrambled eggs.  Just not worth the effort.-MilesAhead (December 19, 2014, 05:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm experiencing similar video errors when attempting to install Kubuntu 14.10 Plasma 4 or 5 in VirtualBox. I can't get it installed because the graphics are messed up. :-/
-Deozaan (December 19, 2014, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

I even tried the Kubuntu Plasma 5.1 nightly 386 build.  It comes up to 800x600 screen with no resolution settings in the Monitor settings.  Strange.  I guess I'll have to try once a week until the VMs catch up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version