ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

auto switching of network drive mapping

(1/2) > >>

questorfla:
I know here is a way to do this.  There may be both a commercial program as well as a simpler method but i have seen it somewhere.
When users are Inside4 an office network they have access to a folder on a server that is mapped as a local network drive on the office subnet.
When they leave, they need to also access this same folder but it will be via FTP.  And in both cases the drive has to remain mapped as a specific drive letter.  That is the trick that I am having problem with.
Short of writing a script they would have to run when not in the office, I have seen a utility that can do this based on the IP address in use by the NIC. If they are on the Office IP, it maps the drive to the local IP it is on.
If they are anywhere else BUT the office IP, it can be set to use various other paths to reach that same drive.
Windows has no problem mapping it to Both a local drive letter AND a network Place Via FTP but the need is for the Drive Letter Mapping to switch from a local IP to using the Network Place sort of automatically.
Any Ideas appreciated but the key is the drive letter used MUST stay the same whether inside the office on local mapping or outside on mapped FTP access.
Thanks

40hz:
The trick is not to allow Windows to manage your wifi connections. Many laptops include an OEM supplied utility (usually written by Intel or done for IBM, HP, or Lenovo) that handles all this for you.

For 3rd-party, take a look at freebie/FOSS project Argon; and for "pay-for" check out NetSetMan Pro.  (~€18/$20 USD last I looked)

questorfla:
Thanks 40hz.  I think you hit the nail on the head.  The program called NetSetMan sounds very much like it.  This was maybe a year or so ago it seems.   I was looking for the same thing then but for a slightly different reason.

By the way, do you happen to know WHY I can map a drive letter to an FTP drive using NETDRIVE2 with Zero problems but cannot do the same thing with any other program.  WEB-DRIVE works but NETDRIVE2 is Free is used for only 1 drive (it says).  Windows also "says" it can map to an FTP with no problem and it appears to allow you to do so but when done, you still only have the old "network place" as always.

There has to be some simple tweak to the ftp settings because that is all I need.  I know that it took me forever to figure out the trick to getting a mapped drive to Windows OneDrive.   It was all in how you worded the connect string PLUS you  had to add the site to IE's SAFE SITES and I am starting to wonder id UAC has anything to do with it.

40hz:
By the way, do you happen to know WHY I can map a drive letter to an FTP drive using NETDRIVE2 with Zero problems but cannot do the same thing with any other program.
-questorfla (December 17, 2014, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not really sure. Have you ever tried Ferro Backup's freebie FtpUse ?

superboyac:
The trick is not to allow Windows to manage your wifi connections. Many laptops include an OEM supplied utility (usually written by Intel or done for IBM, HP, or Lenovo) that handles all this for you.

For 3rd-party, take a look at freebie/FOSS project Argon; and for "pay-for" check out NetSetMan Pro.  (~€18/$20 USD last I looked)

-40hz (December 17, 2014, 01:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
I just discovered Netsetman a few days ago to deal with my portable wifi drive problem...I'll have to update my other thread on that.  But I love it, very handy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version