ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

TreeDBNotes Pro - Christmas and New Year Discount: 50%

<< < (4/5) > >>

Dormouse:
I want to warn you that the bug I ran into, was that suppose you make a note element in your writing, then you decide to move some of them around. TreeDB wasn't keeping the moved new structure, and instead dropping semi-random nodes back where they started, so just when you thought you had a new structure, it ends up a garbled mess!
-TaoPhoenix (January 08, 2015, 09:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

It's not something that has happened to me, touch wood, but at the same time, I have huge numbers of backups, so it doesn't really feel like a biggie for my usage either. That said, I don't use it for very long or complex projects (or only in discrete chunks if I do); I like the environment but I've never been willing to totally trust its database integrity (don't know what it runs on) and it never felt right as an information manager. Your usage seems more complex and requiring a higher level of solidity.

Dormouse:

As someone with some little experience of the outsourcing sites, I have *zero* respect for "black walls of silence". You can hire people for *$2 per hour* to just "say things" and do a "few other things". (Like copy and paste support questions into a file and give them back one of seven canned responses from their script). So even a "useless" reply would have at least sent the signal that someone was behind the wheel. Instead, we get the guy here who wants a new sale. *That's the disconnect*.
-TaoPhoenix (January 08, 2015, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't disagree, but then I have bought programs that were entirely defunct. If a program does what I want, I will use it and if it is the only one that does it the way I want if, I will go with it. Obviously for anything critical that I will rely on, I want rock solid support (not sure where we can be sure of getting that now) or get out methods, alternatives and backups. And preferably all of them.

I like using TreeDB myself, but I do find it hard to recommend to anyone else given the opacity of the situation.

Sagelight Image Editor is another one with a "black wall of silence" most of the time in terms of contact with the developer. But it does what it does very well, is unique in how it does it and is still very cheap. And there is a forum and a method for getting a licence that seems to be working atm. And the black walls have so far been interspersed with intense bursts of light. So I'd still recommend that to anyone who was prepare to buy in full knowledge of the history.

TaoPhoenix:

As someone with some little experience of the outsourcing sites, I have *zero* respect for "black walls of silence". You can hire people for *$2 per hour* to just "say things" and do a "few other things". (Like copy and paste support questions into a file and give them back one of seven canned responses from their script). So even a "useless" reply would have at least sent the signal that someone was behind the wheel. Instead, we get the guy here who wants a new sale. *That's the disconnect*.
-TaoPhoenix (January 08, 2015, 10:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't disagree, but then I have bought programs that were entirely defunct. If a program does what I want, I will use it and if it is the only one that does it the way I want if, I will go with it. Obviously for anything critical that I will rely on, I want rock solid support (not sure where we can be sure of getting that now) or get out methods, alternatives and backups. And preferably all of them.

I like using TreeDB myself, but I do find it hard to recommend to anyone else given the opacity of the situation.
-Dormouse (January 08, 2015, 10:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fair! Good luck getting a companion program for 2015 and Beyyyoooooond! (Cartoon voice!)

:)

rjbull:
What I like about TreeDBNotes for writing is the very full toolbar (I have all options open - and the styles at the bottom), the extensive right click menu, and the ability to write/edit in a pop out without all the PIM clutter.-Dormouse (January 08, 2015, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm wondering whether at heart you'd prefer a single-pane outliner, if you could find one you liked?  Inspiration, perhaps?

Dormouse:
What I like about TreeDBNotes for writing is the very full toolbar (I have all options open - and the styles at the bottom), the extensive right click menu, and the ability to write/edit in a pop out without all the PIM clutter.-Dormouse (January 08, 2015, 05:48 AM)
--- End quote ---
I'm wondering whether at heart you'd prefer a single-pane outliner, if you could find one you liked?  Inspiration, perhaps?
-rjbull (January 17, 2015, 03:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

It may seem odd, but I have never really got on with any single pane outliner - though I do have Outline 4d (a very particular type of program which again seems to have escaped development in the recent aeon). I'd have more panes if I could. Same with file managers: the more panes I can use the better.

Had a quick look at Inspiration. Seems most like a mindmapper with an outline view to me. I tend to find the rigid structures far too limiting and they never work with anything I'm doing. I seem to be able to do any number of things in TreeDB at the same time which is what I usually need.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version