ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Image Manager Shootout

Pre-review Discussion for Graphics Viewers Review

<< < (4/13) > >>

kfitting:
Dont forget lossless cropping and rotation for jpg.  Some of us still shoot pictures in digicams that only output jpg!!

Kevin

nudone:
yep, please make all your concerns known.

i'd like to be as thorough as possible but i'll need to know what you consider important to prevent my own bias taking over.

jpfx:
I am currently searching for the best graphics viewer for my purposes.
I used to use acdsee 2.43 (or something like that) but I need animated gif support.
I currently use irfanview but it doesn't resize overly large pics very well ( I don't want scrollbars if it's taller than the screen, I want the pic resized).

I don't want thumbnails either and I REALLY don't want some database chugging away in the background. You must be able to switch this off.

I've had a serious look at acdsee 7 but I can't figure out how to stop the database part. If anyone knows then my search will probably stop there. Though acdsee 7 seems a bit expensive.

My list of requirements is much the same as mouser's apart from that, oh and I must be able to cut a selection and 'paste as new image' which I can then save in common formats.

I have looked at most of the viewers on zaine's site and not come up with 'the one' yet. Compupic (sp?) kept on crashing for me.

Scott:
anyone else using 'ACDSee'?
-nudone (June 17, 2005, 04:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm using ACDSee 7.0.  I tried a bunch of the freebies at length, because I strongly resisted the upgrade fee for ACDSee.  (I had owned version 5.0 of the stupidly-named "ACDSee PowerPack".)  But after missing one feature after another, or discovering one bug or shortcoming after another, that upgrade fee looked like a paltry trade for my remaining sanity.  I am not one who will put up with less just to save a few bucks.

ACDSee does have its shortcomings, though.  One thing I've noticed is that when I convert with ACDSee, the resulting images don't look as good as when I use Paint Shop Pro, even with equivalent settings.

Scott:
I REALLY don't want some database chugging away in the background. You must be able to switch this off.

I've had a serious look at acdsee 7 but I can't figure out how to stop the database part. If anyone knows then my search will probably stop there.-jpfx (June 17, 2005, 03:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure what you mean.  I run ACDSee 7.0, and there are no background processes.  When I don't have ACDSee open, there is no other application related to it running.  And if you don't want to use the database, just go to the Database menu and exclude everything.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version