ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

which phone?

<< < (2/6) > >>

4wd:
You may want to check out this.
-eleman (December 10, 2014, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

You'll have to update your other post, Nokia have just released Here android into a more open beta, (used to have to download from Nokia).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps

eleman:
You may want to check out this.
-eleman (December 10, 2014, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

You'll have to update your other post, Nokia have just released Here android into a more open beta, (used to have to download from Nokia).

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.here.app.maps
-4wd (December 10, 2014, 02:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Awesomissimo. Yeah, I'll use it in Italy. :)

superboyac:
I used Windows Phone for a couple years, starting with WP7 through Cortana. I am presently using Android. I enjoyed using/having a windows phone more than Android. It's a far more consistent, streamlined and intuitive experience.

Honestly, I do not like Android. I don't care for it. It's a convoluted mess of Vendor, OS, and everything inbetween. It is loaded with apps I don't want that I cannot install. As an ecosystem, Android brings me no joy. . . but I wouldn't trade it for Windows Phone today, because Android Just Works, with everything, pretty much all the time. A new service, app or device comes out, it works with Android. Windows Phone, you have to beg, wait, and hope support comes along. And when it does, it's usually half-baked.

Long story short -- I prefer the Windows Phone OS, but you can do a lot more with Android.
-allen (December 10, 2014, 02:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
I concur exactly.  Well said.

My struggle with the windows phone was that your brain wants to treat it like windows, the windows we love which is full of options and possibilities and third party tools, etc.  But the windows phone is none of those things.  it's even more restrictive than iOS, without the apps.  So it's essentially the most restricted device imaginable.  I stopped using it when the nexus 5 came out.

Innuendo:
Windows Phone is a platform that has very solid hardware with mobile cameras that have no equal on Android and iOS. It also has a full-featured OS that makes a lot of people happy. Unfortunately, their app store is very anemic. There are many apps that just do not exist on Windows Phone that exist on other platforms.

Allen makes some very good points, but choosing an Android OEM is much like choosing a Linux distro. They all run the same OS underneath, but each OEM adds their own spin to things. As for not being able to uninstall apps your carrier puts on, it's nothing rooting the phone and using an app like Titanium Backup wouldn't cure, but that course of action is not for beginners or the weak of heart.

Target:
thanks to all who have responded - I now realise I made a mistake in asking the way i did (it has the potential to degenerate into another 'fanboy discussion').  I wouldn't expect that to happen here but it wouldn't be the first time.

My struggle with the windows phone was that your brain wants to treat it like windows, the windows we love which is full of options and possibilities and third party tools, etc.  But the windows phone is none of those things.  it's even more restrictive than iOS, without the apps.  So it's essentially the most restricted device imaginable.  I stopped using it when the nexus 5 came out.-superboyac (December 10, 2014, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---

This seems to encapsulate the replies so far, but it's ultimately fairly inconclusive.

Reading between the lines here it seems that the user experience on WP is generally excellent.  The dissatisfaction (?) seems to centre around a lack (?) of customising options, and the fact that some (many?) of the applications available under other platforms aren't available under WP (is that a reasonable expectation?).

That said, WP seems to offer some options that the others don't?

FWIW the 2 handsets I'm considering are the LG G3 and the Lumia 830.  I don't have any particular dependency or affinity with android, nor do I have anything of importance that I might lose (that I know of :o).  I'm not terribly interested in customising nor do I have any particular expectations of the hardware, so long as it works well and is reliable.  

In the end this may come down to the toss of a coin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version