ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: File collection manager

<< < (3/3)

wraith808:
XYplorer has paper folders as of v14.30.0100 and later -> Xyplorer 14.30 notes...

From the link I gave...

"Paper Folders can be used just like normal folders in virtually all contexts in XYplorer: You can bookmark them, search them, filter them, branch view them, tag their items, generate reports on them, copy their stuff, paste stuff into them, drag stuff into them, color their contents, customize their icons, cache their thumbnails, show custom columns for them, save their folder view settings, etc."
-hamradio (December 10, 2014, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know about these, and talked about them above.  It just doesn't give the level of ease or functionality something devoted to the job does.

But I've realized this project is probably too big for this site, so I've put a request up at a freelance site and am already getting proposals. Which isn't to say someone here can't take this on - I'm happy to work with anyone who is enthusiastic about the project! I'm just anxious to fund the project see it through to completion.
-garbanzo (December 10, 2014, 12:43 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not necessarily too big- but you have to really get it and be driven to do it- or be paid for it.

Out of curiosity, what freelance site did you use?

garbanzo:
I posted it on Elance. I plan to leave it up at least through the weekend until I decide which developer to work with.

wraith808:
I posted it on Elance. I plan to leave it up at least through the weekend until I decide which developer to work with.
-garbanzo (December 10, 2014, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'd be... careful.  Having done work at similar sites, their procedures for escrow and payment and management of the project can leave a little to be desired.  And in general, you don't find out until you're in the project.  But I haven't worked on that one in particular, so I can't give first hand experience with it.

garbanzo:
Thanks for the warning. I'm aware that I'll have to put the money in escrow, and they accept PayPal so I have protection.

I would rather someone from here dive in, but if I don't get any takers, then that's that :)

IainB:
Interesting request in the OP.
I just happened to stumble upon something called WildReplace only yesterday that I thought looked rather nifty but I couldn't see that I would necessarily have a need for it. Then I saw this post today and wondered whether WildReplace might fit the bill:
CyLog Software - WildReplace
WildReplace v0.99d (beta)
©2003-2008 CyLog Software

WildReplace is a search & replace tool that lets you searh for files on your disks and presents the results in a folder tree highlighting the folders and files that have been found. Most programs of its kind display a plain list of results; WildReplace presents the information by mainting the folder structure of your disk, and highlighting the folders that contain files that have matched your search criteria.

You can search for files using many different search options (file attributes, size, date/time, contents). For example, you can search for files that are read/only and contain a matching phrase (works with both Text and Binary files), or for files that have been modified in the last few days and they have a certain size. Any combination of search terms is allowed.

WildReplace can also replace text on files, a feature that is really very powerful but should be treated with care. WildReplace can create backups of modified files, delete files that match your search criteria or move all matching files to a new location while preserving the same folder structure.

WildReplace is now in public beta but is in fully working condition.

--- End quote ---
Undeveloped since 2008? It's maybe a bit old.
Today I decided that I shall just have to download it and put it through its paces to see for myself - from wrep099d.zip

UPDATE 2014-12-17 0613hrs: Not bad. It shows a useful nested directory structure of only those files that meet the search criteria. However, it doesn't do what the OP wants - e.g., provide a details type of view with selected columns.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version