ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: File collection manager

<< < (2/3) > >>

wraith808:
That looks like it's about 20 different apps mashed together into one - a jack of all trades and master of none.
-garbanzo (December 10, 2014, 06:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

Am I missing something? To my mind that seems to be pretty much what you're asking for. Except in this case, you want a single jack-of-all-trades app that's master of none. Truth is, with a database, there's no such thing as a "simple" solution. Or a universal one either. :)
-40hz (December 10, 2014, 11:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think the he's looking for the same thing that I've been looking for.  Thankfully, I was able to find something for pdfs.

What he's looking for is something that will attach to the file system and allow you to catalog them in place.

What I use (for pdfs/books) is Alfa eBooks Manager.  Datacrow is *only* for the information- it doesn't seem to link to the file (or at least it didn't when I looked at it).  Others (Calibre) do it.. but insist on managing your files in their structure.

What he'd want is something that allowed you to link to files in place, and then tag them.  I've thought about making my own... but it's decently intensive software to code, and after I found my solution, there was no cause to doing it.

40hz:
@ Wraith - Thx. I guess I didn't completely understand. But wouldn't some of the more powerful third-party file managers let you do that?

wraith808:
@ Wraith - Thx. I guess I didn't completely understand. But wouldn't some of the more powerful third-party file managers let you do that?
-40hz (December 10, 2014, 11:53 AM)
--- End quote ---

Sort of... but not really.  And they're in a general purpose file manager.  By default, you see everything.  I only want to see those things that I add.  I have DOpus and XYPlorer, and though they have collections, they're just not as easy IMO as what I envision.

from the FAQ for alfa:

What ebook formats does Alfa Ebooks Manager support?
Please, pay attention, that Alfa Ebook Manager is the software for managing ebooks, but not for reading ebooks. It can link ANY ebook file to a book in the database. It supports ALL ebook formats in Scan operation and can retrieve metadata from PDF, MOBI, AZW, MP3, FB2, LRF, EPUB, DJVU, TXT, CHM, HTML files. It allows to edit metadata in PDF, EPUB, MOBI, AZW, FB2 files.

--- End quote ---

hamradio:
XYplorer has paper folders as of v14.30.0100 and later -> Xyplorer 14.30 notes...

From the link I gave...

"Paper Folders can be used just like normal folders in virtually all contexts in XYplorer: You can bookmark them, search them, filter them, branch view them, tag their items, generate reports on them, copy their stuff, paste stuff into them, drag stuff into them, color their contents, customize their icons, cache their thumbnails, show custom columns for them, save their folder view settings, etc."

garbanzo:
wraith808 gets it  :)

I do use a powerful file manager already (Directory Opus) and it does have a "collections" feature much like Windows' "libraries", but it doesn't have the level of metadata support that I need.

Think of a library-based music player like foobar, Music Bee, Media Monkey, or any other. They catalog your files, keep track of metadata, and act as a front-end to your collection. The proposed app would do the same thing, but for any files on your computer. Create collections, add metadata, browse/sort/launch.

But I've realized this project is probably too big for this site, so I've put a request up at a freelance site and am already getting proposals. Which isn't to say someone here can't take this on - I'm happy to work with anyone who is enthusiastic about the project! I'm just anxious to fund the project see it through to completion.

Thanks!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version