topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Spoilers Are Fun !!  (Read 4836 times)

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Spoilers Are Fun !!
« on: December 09, 2014, 10:23 AM »
Spoilers are fun... but only if they work.  I think mine stopped opening around 3 months ago.

my info:  Windows Vista   Home Premium-SP2   Intel Core 2 Duo CPU    T6400 @ 2.00GHz    4GB RAM    64-bit        Windows Internet Explorer 9

Any suggestions are welcome.   :)

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Spoilers Are Fun !!
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:52 AM »
my info:  Windows Vista   Home Premium-SP2   Intel Core 2 Duo CPU    T6400 @ 2.00GHz    4GB RAM    64-bit        Windows Internet Explorer 9

Any suggestions are welcome.   :)

Actually anything would be welcome after that :)

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2014, 12:03 PM »
Reload that machine with Windows 7 64-bit home premium or professional, and use either Chrome or Firefox.

Without even changing the hardware, you'll experience computing like never before.

Though it probably would be worth considering a new build. Something in the Haswell family from Intel with 8-16GB of ram and 64-bit Windows 7. Windows 8 is not recommended for desktops unless you are building for a kid who is used to smarphones, and Windows (9) 10 is probably going to be a disaster.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2014, 12:18 PM »
Reload that machine with Windows 7 64-bit home premium or professional, and use either Chrome or Firefox.

Without even changing the hardware, you'll experience computing like never before.

Though it probably would be worth considering a new build. Something in the Haswell family from Intel with 8-16GB of ram and 64-bit Windows 7. Windows 8 is not recommended for desktops unless you are building for a kid who is used to smarphones, and Windows (9) 10 is probably going to be a disaster.
Other than strange interface differences (tiles, settings in weird places), what are the advantages of Windows 7 vs 8?

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2014, 12:26 PM »

Telling someone to reload their machine with a different operating system doesn't seem like the desired solution to a particular software problem that's just emergent.

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 12:53 PM »

Telling someone to reload their machine with a different operating system doesn't seem like the desired solution to a particular software problem that's just emergent.

I agree.  Although i did say any suggestions.  My mistake.   ;D

SeraphimLabs

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • Be Ready
    • View Profile
    • SeraphimLabs
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 12:56 PM »

It is indeed far from ideal- but in this case there's a good chance he's facing a compatibility problem.

I've got a number of Windows XP machines still in use in an industrial setting, and I've noticed that recently a growing number of sites have dropped compatibility for that version of internet explorer. Upgrading to Windows 7 should let you regain the performance of a newly installed OS, while at the same time bringing compatibility up to where the software he wants to use will probably run right again.

Windows 8 is internally similar to Windows 7, but where the past few Windows versions have required a 'housebreaking' period of sorts where you get everything arranged the way you want and get used to its interfaces, Windows 8 has the the most involved learning curve because the UI is so different. It is possible to install third party addons that bring back the layout people are used to (circa 1995 after all), but this still is time consuming and results in a machine that has been customized and could become harder to troubleshoot later on.

With any luck Windows 10 will go back to having the traditional layout as the default, but I am not counting on it. Microsoft has delivered disappointments year after year, and the only reason I still install their stuff on any machine is compatibility with what people what to do. Every few years I try using Linux instead, and its always the compatibility headache that sends me back to Windows.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 01:06 PM »
SMF forums only guarantee compatibility with WebExplorer on OS/2 machines

:P

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 12:54 PM »
Just noticed my spoilers work again... though i don't know when or why ..  :huh:
I did have back to back restart-updates, yesterday and today so maybe something was reset?

00 spoiler is back.png