ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dopus file names are cut

<< < (2/4) > >>

4wd:
@Ennovy - By "license checks" (as in plural) do you mean DO is one of those products that periodically or regularly "phones home" for a license verification even after initial installation?-40hz (December 09, 2014, 01:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Already been discussed from about this point here.

Once the initial license check is done, you can block it if you like, it doesn't affect the functionality of the program.

From the FAQ:
The times that Opus attempts Internet access are:

* When you use the FTP (or advanced FTP) features.
*    When you use the ImageShack Upload or Flickr Synchronization features.
*    When you send an email (or send a file via email) using the built-in SMTP client.
*    When you run the update checker (or it runs automatically due to your Preferences settings), and when an update is downloaded. The update checker will make a port 80 HTTP connection to http://www.gpsoft.com.au (which is the same IP address as smtp.gpsoft.com.au, so you might see that in a reverse DNS lookup) for the main version check, and another port 80 HTTP connection to one of Google's servers to get an RSS feed of news articles.
*    A third-party viewer plugin or Windows Explorer shell extension connects to the Internet. For example, the shell extension for Perforce (a source control system) is known to create network connections when you right-click files (more details). Shell extensions for various cloud storage systems may also connect to the network, for obvious reasons.
*    When verifying the integrity of the program.

This last item involves the various methods Opus uses to protect against viruses and illegal use of the software (DRM). You can block these using a firewall if you wish - Opus does not attempt to "evade" or "get around" your firewall in any way. Legitimate users have no reason to be concerned by this activity, and none of your personal information is ever transmitted in this way.
--- End quote ---

michaelkenward:
...you find a lot of posts with the same question
-Ennovy (December 08, 2014, 06:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

"Lots" is a slight exaggeration these days. Such posts crop up a few times a year on the Opus forum.

There is another, perhaps more common, sign of "illicit" use. Someone turns up on the forum and asks for help. The people over there ask the questioner to "link their account" to the licence number for their installation. (Without that link, your call for help is likely to go unanswered.) The questioner often vanishes, never to be heard from again.

40hz:
@Ennovy - By "license checks" (as in plural) do you mean DO is one of those products that periodically or regularly "phones home" for a license verification even after initial installation?-40hz (December 09, 2014, 01:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

Already been discussed from about this point here.-4wd (December 09, 2014, 04:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ok...my apologies for asking about it again. Not being a DO user, the previous answer (back in March in a different thread) went in one synapse, got relayed to the client who had asked me about it, and then went straight out the other. Having forgotten, I asked about it a second time.

FWIW, the concluding comment in DO's FAQ about it struck me as being rather defensive and somewhat accusatory. But that's probably just me. ;)

The times that Opus attempts Internet access are:

* When verifying the integrity of the program.
This last item involves the various methods Opus uses to protect against viruses and illegal use of the software (DRM). You can block these using a firewall if you wish - Opus does not attempt to "evade" or "get around" your firewall in any way. Legitimate users have no reason to be concerned by this activity, and none of your personal information is ever transmitted in this way.
--- End quote ---

Innuendo:
FWIW, the concluding comment in DO's FAQ about it struck me as being rather defensive and somewhat accusatory. But that's probably just me. ;)-40hz (December 09, 2014, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

DOpus is one of the most powerful file managers available & I'm a satisfied legal user of v11. Having said that, anytime any questions regarding pricing of their program, paid upgrades, or license checks come up everyone connected to the company gets defensive and their hair bristles.

I've got no problem with what they do & I'm sure you can only remain calm in the face of criticism for so long before you start losing patience. I try not to let it color my experience with, IMHO, is an excellent application.

40hz:
FWIW, the concluding comment in DO's FAQ about it struck me as being rather defensive and somewhat accusatory. But that's probably just me. ;)-40hz (December 09, 2014, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

DOpus is one of the most powerful file managers available & I'm a satisfied legal user of v11. Having said that, anytime any questions regarding pricing of their program, paid upgrades, or license checks come up everyone connected to the company gets defensive and their hair bristles.

I've got no problem with what they do & I'm sure you can only remain calm in the face of criticism for so long before you start losing patience. I try not to let it color my experience with, IMHO, is an excellent application.
-Innuendo (December 09, 2014, 01:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

@Innuendo - Must be good considering they have at least one apologist here. And one I respect to boot.  :)

So...ok. Fair enough. It must be me then.  :-[

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version