topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox update download trap  (Read 5135 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox update download trap
« on: December 06, 2014, 12:05 PM »
I still get snared by the Firefox update download trap.  I set Firefox update to Never Check for Updates.  However if I click the Help Menu then click the About then Check for Updates, if I should happen to click the Update to whatever version when offered, there's no way to turn it off.  If I kill the browser, when I reopen it, it starts the download where it left off.  Now I'm stuck completing the update if I want to or not.

I can't believe they still haven't fixed this.  It needs to have an Abort Button!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox update download trap
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2014, 12:34 PM »
I can't believe they still haven't fixed this

I think it's more one of those "it's not a bug - it's a feature" deals. :-\

I have an ongoing fistfight trying to keep it from updating. >:(

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2014, 12:50 PM »
I can't believe they still haven't fixed this

I think it's more one of those "it's not a bug - it's a feature" deals. :-\

I have an ongoing fistfight trying to keep it from updating. >:(

Heh heh.  I did manage to find the installer for the build I was running.  It figures I take one chance and let it update and it acts flaky.  I had to "upgrade" back to the 36.x build.  The more things don't change..  :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2014, 01:39 PM »
This wonderful behavior can be stopped by configuring (or even better uninstalling) the Mozilla Maintenance Service.

https://support.mozi...-maintenance-service

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2014, 03:31 PM »
This wonderful behavior can be stopped by configuring (or even better uninstalling) the Mozilla Maintenance Service.

https://support.mozi...-maintenance-service

I always do a custom install and uncheck the option to install the maintenance service.
The disable this behavior info shown in the link where is says to uncheck the option to install in the background.. I don't have that option.  So that indicates to me it never snuck the install by me.  :)

Edit:  I thought "sneak snack snuk" was better but online reference says I should write "sneaked."

bit

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 03:41 PM »
Aside from the other remedies, I would suggest switching to Firefox Portable, then you can create a couple of backup copies and number them with suffixes, as 'Firefox bkup 1', 'Firefox bkup 2'.
Then if everything gets hopelessly goofed on your active copy, export your bookmarks.html file to Desktop, rename a backup copy to be the active copy (temporarily rename the goofed copy 'Firefox goofed' before deleting it), then import your up-to-date bookmarks.html.

^re: [I thought "sneak snack snuk" was better but online reference says I should write "sneaked."]
You could also write or say 'snook'. :)

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 07:47 PM »
I would suggest switching to Firefox Portable

:)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2014, 09:57 AM »
I would suggest switching to Firefox Portable

:)

I have the same nightly in portable version.  Trouble with that is if I check for updates it totally breaks it since the update is attempted even though it never succeeds in the PortableApps version.  Also setting it as default involves a hack.  Now that the browser install has stopped refusing to copy an older version over the newer it's really easier to just install over it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2014, 09:57 AM »
[I thought "sneak snack snuk" was better but online reference says I should write "sneaked."]
You could also write or say 'snook'

Ah, it's been too long since I brushed up on English Grammar.  :)

Edit:  btw if anyone is trying the Firefox x64 Nightly, I'm not sure exactly what happened, but it seemed like when I tried Session Manager AddOn other extensions stopped working and I had problems I could fix with restore points or reinstall.  Fortunately my Cyberfox seems unaffected.  For the time being I'm back to using that.

Also I don't trust Sync, since it doesn't have a manual overwrite mode.  But my Bookmarks seem OK.  My guess is some interaction with Nightly and that AddOn.  Even my 32 bit FF got hosed.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 06:47 PM by MilesAhead »