ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Extremely simple and minimal sticky notes for windows

<< < (3/3)

dr_andus:
GumNotes.com is fairly minimal.

rjbull:
Prompted by dr_andus' comment "fairly minimal," and by re-reading the OP, I think you may be less concerned by the total feature set, than by features not getting in your way.  In which case, I suggest taking a look at the sticky notes program I use myself, the little-known Magic Notes.  From your point of view, the plus point would be that a left double-click on the tray icon (or a hotkey) gets you a new plain sticky note, with no fluff, with whatever defaults you've set.  You can get to fonts, colours, alarms, attach-to-window etc., if you want them, by clicking the Note Window Menu icon or by function keys.  But they won't bother you if you don't bother them.  Right-click on the tray icon gets you About, Help, Preferences and other general program stuff.

Magic Notes is $19.95 payware.  There's no generally-available free version that I know of, but the trial period is a generous 45 days.  Development is glacially slow, but I've used it for years in different versions and it has always worked perfectly well.  Its feature set is comparable with Stickies and Notezilla (the latter has more features, I think).

Another sticky notes program that I haven't tried, but which has been around for a long time (since 1998, apparently), is TurboNote.  TurboNote+ is on version 7.0.  Its basic price is $US 29.97, but TurboNote v.3.4 is freeware (see their FAQ page).

Curt:
TurboNote's basic price is $US 29.97, -rjbull (December 08, 2014, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---
Save just 12 minutes a day — like most of our users — and you'll pay for TurboNote+ in only two weeks. -TurboNote
--- End quote ---

so I must make $15 per hour, (a week being 5 days), it seems.
funny arithmetic... makes it sound a little expensive, doesn't it.  :-\

peter.s:
Sticky notes sw is skeuomorph pc crap par excellence; 3 M ("Post-it") should had have it banned world-wide in time; of course now it's too late.

Since it's (too) demanding to find ways to glue the stickies to divisions, pages, paragraphs, Excel cells and so on (cf. my discussion with Mr. Jaim over at outlinerblahblah.com), for most developers, in order to justify their prices (Jaim, TurboNote et al.), they spice their crap up instead with needless goodies the user (cf. the current thread's starting post) will then have difficulty to avoid, visually and/or by functionality, and most of the offerings do not even "follow" their original file when that's moved or renamed.

For the time being, users should have a look into metadata matters, mentioned again by me over at blahbah just some weeks ago: AHK both can read and write ADS, to give just one example, and SearchMyFile (another freeware from the incredible generous NirSoft venture) will find them. Thus, with just some lines of macro code, you would be able to get some quite satisfying metadata functionality on the file level at least, for free, and the way you prefer. OL mails being accessible, too, one by one, with some more lines of scripting, you'll be able to have stickies for mails, too, and with some more few lines, the stickies would pop up for any mail in question, or the mail would be displayed from your choosing from the sticies' list; all this is as basic as it gets.

Or then, continue to buy lovely-colored skeu-o-crap any lovely 3-year-old would rave of. Back around 1984, pc's were meant for grown-ups, you know, it happened only some time later anybody now's a comp expert. Well, such unwanted democratization at least holds prices down, as long as all those unqualified, retarded laymen more or less frenetically buy (this latter nexus not being evident in connection with cooked apple stuff yet).

Mark0:
I find myself using Google Keep a lot. It has just the right amount of features to be useful without being complex.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version