ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Some unknown webpage opens itself after starting my PC!

<< < (2/2)

MilesAhead:
I'd try running Malwarebytes to see if it identifies any unwanted programs.

Note that you don't always have to install programs to get malware - sketchy sites often try to take advantage of hole in browsers to perform 'drive-by' installs of malware or to modify browser settings (such as start up pages).  Note that the sketchy sites don't have to be ones that you explicitly visited - advertising servers have been known to pass malware in the advertisements many websites use.
-mwb1100 (December 16, 2014, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Also it is good to scan with SuperAntiSpyware Portable

The Quick scan is very good at catching PUPs and tracking cookies.

Vurbal:
First off, what Shades said 1000%. System restore first, and clean it only if that doesn't work.

If you do have to clean it, the 2 tools I use almost exclusively have already been mentioned - Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware. However, I'd start with rkill prior to anything else. That will give everything that follows it a better shot of working.

hulkbuster:
Thank you Shades also OP for providing some assistance, i only had RKill v2.4.5 and Cleaner v1.2.8 , so i proceeded to download JRT AdwCleaner and also used CCleaner and a performed a regscan their. So far i havn't noticed any change in my PC and those annoying pages has stopped popping. I'll take that as problem fixed. I just don't like any add-ons on my browser. It might help some people, but i make a backup of my bookmarks of Firefox,Outlook and Chrome and these add-on acts as an obstacle their.

JRT v6.4.0 Download
RKill v2.4.5 Download
Cleaner v1.2.8  Download
AdwCleanre v4.105 Download
CCleaner v3.08.1475 Download

But i'll still not use anti-virus lol, its not that i m not heeding your opinion, it just slows my pc. I have a decent pc with dual core , 2 GB ram and 3.0 Ghz processor. Whenever i'll have a drastic situation , then restore would the way to go. But these kind of annoying things are rather best fixed and opt to a drastic restore.
Thank you guys.

40hz:
But i'll still not use anti-virus lol, its not that i m not heeding your opinion, it just slows my pc. I have a decent pc with dual core , 2 GB ram and 3.0 Ghz processor. Whenever i'll have a drastic situation , then restore would the way to go. But these kind of annoying things are rather best fixed and opt to a drastic restore.
-hulkbuster (December 17, 2014, 10:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fine (sorta :tellme:) as long as you don't do any online banking or shopping on that machine. If somebody succeeds in dropping a keylogging trojan on your PC, all the cleaning and recovery operations in the world won't mitigate the problems you may shortly encounter. It'll just be locking the barn after your horse is gone.

Antimalware is most effective when it's used as a preventative - not as a "fix."

Anyway...good luck going forward. :Thmbsup:  You'll need it. :)

Vurbal:
Despite your claim to the contrary, if your computer slows down enough to dissuade you from using AV software,  it is not 'decent'. If you are getting infected with easily avoided malware, which appears to have been the case here, your computer is, in fact, inadequate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version