ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Old City

<< < (2/2)

40hz:
@SB -  wouldn't something like Old City be great with something like an Oculus Rift headset? Too bad OC's probably well beyond the budget and/or capabilities of most indy game shops. Some of the best work seems to be coming from that quarter.

superboyac:
@SB -  wouldn't something like Old City be great with something like an Oculus Rift headset? Too bad OC's probably well beyond the budget and/or capabilities of most indy game shops. Some of the best work seems to be coming from that quarter.
-40hz (December 05, 2014, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
hmmm...well, yea!!  Damn, I still have to try the oculus.  I've been avoiding due to fear of the amount of ideas/projects it will inspire in my brain.

allen:
@SB -  wouldn't something like Old City be great with something like an Oculus Rift headset? Too bad OC's probably well beyond the budget and/or capabilities of most indy game shops. Some of the best work seems to be coming from that quarter.
-40hz (December 05, 2014, 02:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree, The Old City would be absolutely amazing -- on fully realized VR tech. On the Oculus Rift, however, notsomuch. The problem right now isn't budget/capabilities of the indy game shops. . . if it were worth their while, it would probably be manageable (if not trivial) for them to rise to it. The real problem is that OR display resolution is awful. I got to try one out a couple months back at the office. The roller coaster demo was neat, but the resolution was so pixelated it was like a 360 degree N64 game. For now, I'd take the gorgeous art of the old city on a flat screen over the OR any day. That is, until the VR tech catches up.

app103:
After watching these 2 videos, I went ahead and bought the game:

Yeah, an impulse buy, not something I usually do with games/software, and for good reason.

Unfortunately, I can't play this on my laptop. Sound is crackly, video is choppy, and mouse movement is very jerky. And that is just on the menu screen.

I'll have to wait till I get my desktop PC working again and try it on there. I am really hoping it works out better on there, otherwise this game will just be another example of why I don't like buying games I can't try before I buy, and why I shouldn't buy on impulse.

Looks really interesting. Unfortunately I can't run the trailer for some reason. It refuses to load in FF and crashes completely in Chrome. And this is on an i5 machine with 8Gb of RAM and no other applications running. Doesn't give me the warm fuzzies. Hopefully it's just a server-side time-out issue due to volume. I had to go over and watch it on YouTube.
-40hz (December 05, 2014, 12:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Their website crashes my Pale Moon.

40hz:
Yeah, an impulse buy, not something I usually do with games/software, and for good reason.
-app103 (December 07, 2014, 03:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

@app - Ain't it the truth?

I recently bought Kentucky Route Zero (Season Pass) for the same reason. The story concept was intriguing. The design and artwork are quite beautiful and evocative IMHO. Possibly some of the best I've ever seen. And their non-spoiler sample download impressed me to no end.

I've been through the first part of what is promised to be a 5-part story. You get parts 1 through 3 with parts 4 and 5 promised for later release this year.

This is one of those situations where I really really want to like this thing. Hopefully it will pick up a bit as it goes forward. Because right now I'm getting a sinking sensation there may be less here than originally appeared. Or promised... (More on that shortly.)

There's a lot of odd and unnatural conversations that seem to go nowhere, and which the characters engage in for no obvious reason. People do not, in my experience, respond to an innocuous question about where a certain highway goes by immediately launching into a philosophical speculation about the region and their family's history. With luck, it will all find it's place into the story later on. But I'm worried this will become yet another case of a writer creating deliberately obscure passages in the hopes they will be mistaken for being profound.

Another niggle...

Right now there's some concern in the gaming community about the last two instalments. Both had been promised for release "later this year." AFAIK, there hasn't been anything said about a definite release date yet. And we're almost out of days for "this year." Which raises the possibility (KRZ being an indy game) that they either won't be delivered - or they'll be rushed out just to get them completed. And if that's the case, we may be better off not seeing them at all.

Anyway...I own it. I'm playing it. And I remain hopeful.

I also resolve this will be my absolute last impulse game buy. And this time - I really mean it. ;) ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version