ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

Linuxbrew: A Fork of Homebrew for Linux

(1/1)

ewemoa:
Anyone tried this package manager?

Some claimed features:

* Can install software to a home directory and so does not require sudo
* Install software not packaged by the native distribution
* Install up-to-date versions of software when the native distribution is old
* Use the same package manager to manage both your Mac and Linux machines

--- End quote ---

via Linuxbrew Project Page

ewemoa:
Set up under Linux Mint 17 was pretty staight-forward (see project page for specifics):

* install some prerequisites
* run a shell script / git clone
* edit one's environment appropriately
* logged out and back in for simplicity
Was looking for an up-to-date DB Browser for SQLite (the default repositories have a 2.x-based version AFAICT)...however, apparently one should first:

--- ---$ brew doctor

Then if everything is ok:

--- ---$ brew search sqlitebrowser

That gave a result, so next:

--- ---$ brew install sqlitebrowser

Now I'm waiting for downloads and likely compilation to finish...

Looks like that one will take a while...in the mean time, was able to install vim and tmux successfully.

40hz:
Definitely gonna take a good close look at that. Thx  for the heads-up. :)

ewemoa:
:)

FWIW, in the case of DB Browser for SQLite, I ended up patching the "formulas" for qt and sqlite and installed libsqlite3-dev.  But now I have a recent version running.

These days it looks like if one wanted to become familiar with Sh/Bash, Guile Scheme, Nix, or Ruby and happened to be into compiling from source (aka trying out new software), one could spend some time playing with BSD|Arch|Gentoo package/port systems, guix, nixpkgs, or (home|linux)brew respectively and learn a bit via osmosis...

On a side note, I'm not sure how well some of the software "installed" this way will survive being backed up and restored using official Linux Mint methods...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version