ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Best Linux Distro for Windows HDD recovery

<< < (3/4) > >>

MilesAhead:
MilesAhead,look at this one for UEFI.  alt linux
-techidave (December 02, 2014, 09:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the link.  :)

Stoic Joker:
For Windows systems I prefer using [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiren%27s_BootCD]Hiren's BootCD.
-40hz (December 02, 2014, 01:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Does it support UEFI secure boot GPT etc?  I'm reading at the home page now but I thought I'd ask you also since I suspect you know quite a bit about it.  :)
-MilesAhead (December 02, 2014, 06:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

It does not have support for EFI out of the box AFAIK.

There are supposedly workarounds for it. And (fortunately) I have yet to need them. But I also haven't run into an issue with an EFI system - nor do I own one. So I have no way of testing or speaking with assurance on anything I've read when it comes to that.

Anybody out there have any real-world experience with any of this?
-40hz (December 02, 2014, 08:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Just had an EFI (Dell) machine on the bench yesterday, that needed an offline virus scan. We enabled the legacy boot option, tossed in the Kaspersky Rescue Disk, and it booted up just fine. After the scan ran, switched it back to EFI and the OS came back to life.

Issue ended up being that the AOL Tech Fortress - that was "helpfully" auto added by AOL... - had decided to lock the machine down and break everything. So the scan wasn't actually necessary, but it can be done.

40hz:
@SJ - that's good to hear. I had heard some rumors about certain machines not allowing a switch to legacy boot. But I guess they were only rumors after all?

GPT support is already in the Linux kernal. But you may need to recompile it if the distro you're using hasn't enabled it for you. Fortunately, most of the more recent distro releases have done so. Really good article from IBM on all that here.

Last I heard, the UEFI issue is still up in the air for some distros. But a few of the majors (Suse/Fedora/Ubuntu) have already cut a deal with the devil, so it's not an issue. For them.

Stoic Joker:
@SJ - that's good to hear. I had heard some rumors about certain machines not allowing a switch to legacy boot. But I guess they were only rumors after all?-40hz (December 03, 2014, 09:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Drawing a conclusion from a random statistical sampling of 1 is most likely ill advised... :D ...Best we just call it a 50/50 on the light in the tunnel not being a train for now. ;)

MilesAhead:
Switching in and out of secure boot makes sense.  I'm just getting paranoid in advance since I think GPT is going to be widespread with off the shelf systems likely equipped with 4+ TB drives soon.

It's still premature to think about multibooting Linux on the Toshiba.  But I want to start getting a feel for how the non MBR world is going to be.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version