ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Coding at a rate of 240 words per minute

(1/3) > >>

app103:
An interesting use case for Stenotype.

app103:
I am not entirely sure I could code at 240 words per minute, even if my brain were directly connected to my computer via a thought to text engine, unless it could translate visual thought concepts.

But that would be in the realm of sci-fi, where you could create a UI and make it work, by just imagining yourself using it.  :D

Currently, I'd have to say the bulk of my development time is not spent on actual typing of code, but rather testing, debugging, and research, and I don't see learning stenotype shortening the time spent doing that, by very much, even at double that rate (480 WPM).

MilesAhead:
I've never worked in a room full of coders.  But I would tend to think sessions where they just type in a flurry of working code are routines they've done so many times they could just paste them in from their code snippets.  But they want to show off.  :)

There was a guy in my analyst group who was also a concert pianist.  He liked to type at top speed to show off this finger dexterity.  But he never let anyone time him that I know of.  He just liked to see the text fill up the screen.  Also he didn't care about typos.  :)

Stoic Joker:
What was the old saying, '4 bugs for every 1,000 lines of code' ... But we can hit 5-7 if we try real hard.

Speed is not always the solution.

wraith808:
What was the old saying, '4 bugs for every 1,000 lines of code' ... But we can hit 5-7 if we try real hard.

Speed is not always the solution.
-Stoic Joker (December 02, 2014, 06:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

That, and typing rate isn't the big limiter in coding for the most part.  I find that the largest asset in coding isn't speed, but the ability to identify problems and create appropriate solutions.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version