ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Non-Windows Software

LINUX - Mint 17.1 (Rebecca) ISOs are now available for download

<< < (2/3) > >>

40hz:
Is it true that you can just backup your user directory/partition and then copy those files back after an upgrade. I've heard rumors to that effect about Linux distros, but never tried that, since I'm pretty much always using it in a VM and it's easy enough for me to simply wipe and reinstall.
-Deozaan (December 02, 2014, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

If by "user directory" you mean the home directory, the answer is pretty much yes. If you mean the usr directory, the answer is no.

LINUX - Mint 17.1 (Rebecca) ISOs are now available for download

See the link in the above post for the preferred way to do an upgrade.

rgdot:
Thanks 40hz.

I have several scripts (WordPress for testing, etc) running in var/www and need to be sure not to lose stuff otherwise Home (my files) directory is enough for me, the local software I can always reinstall without needing to back up really.

ewemoa:
I didn't locate info regarding restoring one's software selection when it contains things from repositories that one might have added.

Any hints on this?

For reference, it looks like at least one file gets created containing at least package names (if I had to guess I'd guess it's the result of something like dpkg --get-selections).  I don't see any information about additional repositories...

One of the comments at the 'instructions' was:

But I have to say, the main advantage of the "Package upgrade" is missing: you don't have to redo all the customization and re-install all the software that is not available in the repositories.

In particular, with a fresh install you loose all the settings in /etc and all the software in either /opt or /usr/local.

--- End quote ---

Hmm...IIUC under /etc/ somewhere is where which repositories are used is stored...I guess that can be done manually...and before restoring software selections.

Ah, here's something:

If you were using PPA or other repositories and if some of your previously installed packages are not found by the present system, these packages will appear in the list but you won't be able to select them. If that is the case, update your APT sources using the Menu -> Administration -> Software Sources tool to add the missing repositories, then click on the "Refresh" button in the Backup Tool.

Note: The "Refresh" button refreshes the list, not your APT cache. If you update your /etc/apt/sources.list manually, make sure to run "apt update" in the terminal.

--- End quote ---

I guess I better make note of extra repositories :)

Deozaan:
Cool. Linux Mint has a backup utility you can use to backup files or applications. i didn't know about that. Thanks 40hz (for your info and the link which is where I found out about the backup utility)!

40hz:
I didn't locate info regarding restoring one's software selection when it contains things from repositories that one might have added.

Any hints on this?

For reference, it looks like at least one file gets created containing at least package names (if I had to guess I'd guess it's the result of something like dpkg --get-selections).  I don't see any information about additional repositories...

One of the comments at the 'instructions' was:

But I have to say, the main advantage of the "Package upgrade" is missing: you don't have to redo all the customization and re-install all the software that is not available in the repositories.

In particular, with a fresh install you loose all the settings in /etc and all the software in either /opt or /usr/local.

--- End quote ---

Hmm...IIUC under /etc/ somewhere is where which repositories are used is stored...I guess that can be done manually...and before restoring software selections.

Ah, here's something:

If you were using PPA or other repositories and if some of your previously installed packages are not found by the present system, these packages will appear in the list but you won't be able to select them. If that is the case, update your APT sources using the Menu -> Administration -> Software Sources tool to add the missing repositories, then click on the "Refresh" button in the Backup Tool.

Note: The "Refresh" button refreshes the list, not your APT cache. If you update your /etc/apt/sources.list manually, make sure to run "apt update" in the terminal.

--- End quote ---

I guess I better make note of extra repositories :)
-ewemoa (December 03, 2014, 07:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

You could just install Aptik. It should be in the Mint repos.  I haven't tried using it in conjunction with an upgrade yet. But at the very least it would allow you to get a solid backup and pretty easily go back to your previous installation.

:Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version