ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Tips for dial-up Internet Speeds?

(1/5) > >>

tomos:
I'm looking for any tips for how to cope with dial-up internet speeds :(
(Connection has been bad for a while but took a dive on Friday, was gone completely this afternoon, is at a snails pace this evening.)

Firefox doesnt even seem to have a stop-page-loading buttons any more...

1) I remember someone here talking here (I think not too long ago) about a text based browser i.e. it just showed text  - any ideas there?

2) or something that stopped images from loading -- but allowed you to choose to load an image -- that would probably be ideal.

FWIW, Gmail in the browser often works with the basic html interface, even when no other sites load properly.

TIA :)

KynloStephen66515:
(Connection has been bad for a while but took a dive on Friday, was gone completely this afternoon, is at a snails pace this evening.)

Firefox doesnt even seem to have a stop-page-loading buttons any more...

1) I remember someone here talking here (I think not too long ago) about a text based browser i.e. it just showed text  - any ideas there?

2) or something that stopped images from loading -- but allowed you to choose to load an image -- that would probably be ideal.

FWIW, Gmail in the browser often works with the basic html interface, even when no other sites load properly.

TIA :)
-tomos (December 01, 2014, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Try Opera, it has a "Turbo" function which worked VERY well for me when using horrific 3G internet, it also highly compresses images so they load MUCH faster. :)

TaoPhoenix:

Firefox doesn't even seem to have a stop-page-loading buttons any more...

1) I remember someone here talking here (I think not too long ago) about a text based browser i.e. it just showed text  - any ideas there?

-tomos (December 01, 2014, 11:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

(Sorry for the lazy post!)

There are various ways to get the stop button back, depending. My (older) copy of Pale Moon still has it, and I think ClassicUI Restorer has a setting that puts it back too.

I didn't like the pure text browsers because for me, site layout is crucial to understanding what's going on. But I'd bet someone else has thought of a way to stop loading images ... the raw site layout is there, but the images are as-needed.

I also use QuickJS to toggle Javascript on and off to stop a lot of "overhead" that surely is affecting your experience. Simple examples are news sites and ones that keep looking for "ping.chartbeat.net" every 30 seconds.

4wd:
Under Firefox options, do they still have Content->Load Images Automatically ?

Just disable it if it's still there, you can also disable on a per site basis, IIRC.

TaoPhoenix:
Under Firefox options, do they still have Content->Load Images Automatically ?

Just disable it if it's still there, you can also disable on a per site basis, IIRC.
-4wd (December 01, 2014, 04:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think so aka not that easily. I just checked Pale Moon, Nightly, and DevEdition.
But sometimes the devs get grumpy when Marketing starts removing features, and it's still tucked away in that "about" thing with the million hidden settings.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version