ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for Windows Email Server Options

<< < (4/7) > >>

Stoic Joker:
Anything I do in my home lab "for fun", is just one more thing I can get paid well to do for other people. As long as the end result is acceptable to my standards. So it's not really a case of devaluing my time to $2/hr.. :)

It's also a case of getting the most bang out of limited buck resources. Right now the bike is far better for my health than a snazzy piece of kit. Because 9 times out of 4 it's IT that is stressing me out ... And the bike that lets me de-stress/relax. You see life gets incredibly simple at speeds in excess of 100mph, and the entire universe turns into a pin prick as the dance begins. This is why it keeps being said that one only feels truly alive when on the razor's edge and I know this to be true...having been there many times. It's a visceral, tactile, beautifully violent dance with an incredibly powerful machine that you must know intimately to survive.

40hz:
Anything I do in my home lab "for fun", is just one more thing I can get paid well to do for other people. -Stoic Joker (December 06, 2014, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry. When you said "home office" in your OP I though you were referring to your employer's home office. Not your own.

I've been dealing with the corporate world way too long. :-\

As long as the end result is acceptable to my standards. So it's not really a case of devaluing my time to $2/hr.. :)

It's also a case of getting the most bang out of limited buck resources. Right now the bike is far better for my health than a snazzy piece of kit. Because 9 times out of 4 it's IT that is stressing me out ... And the bike that lets me de-stress/relax. You see life gets incredibly simple at speeds in excess of 100mph, and the entire universe turns into a pin prick as the dance begins. This is why it keeps being said that one only feels truly alive when on the razor's edge and I know this to be true...having been there many times. It's a visceral, tactile, beautifully violent dance with an incredibly powerful machine that you must know intimately to survive.

--- End quote ---

You misunderstand what I was saying - or, more likely,  I didn't express myself very well. My point was killing yourself for an employer by taking on a science fair project whne an acceptable solution already existed and was obtainable for a very small price makes no sense (to me) unless you put scant value on your time. I then qualified it by saying unless it's something you're actually interested in personally - in which case I fully agree that you can't put a price on time invested.

You have your Harley love affaire. I have my music jones. At the core they're really not any different. And time is no object when it comes to things like that.

Or maybe more correctly, the time invested is the object? ;) 8) :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker:
Anything I do in my home lab "for fun", is just one more thing I can get paid well to do for other people. -Stoic Joker (December 06, 2014, 03:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sorry. When you said "home office" in your OP I though you were referring to your employer's home office. Not your own.

I've been dealing with the corporate world way too long. :-\-40hz (December 06, 2014, 07:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

LOL No my purpose for using the word home was to imply my house. I wasn't thinking of the other - rather obvious in retrospect - possible inference of the term 'Home Office'. At work we do have one satellite location, but its only existed for a few months so the whole HO concept hasn't really caught on yet. I was also thinking you'd remember we have an Exchange server there because it's come up several times in other threads.

Gotta watch those pesky assumptions! :D (tehehe)

My point was killing yourself for an employer by taking on a science fair project whne an acceptable solution already existed and was obtainable for a very small price makes no sense (to me) unless you put scant value on your time. I then qualified it by saying unless it's something you're actually interested in personally - in which case I fully agree that you can't put a price on time invested.-40hz (December 06, 2014, 07:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Right... Like scratch writing an IMS because it seemed like a 'fun' thing to do at the time. Now I get where you're coming from. :Thmbsup:

You have your Harley love affaire. I have my music jones. At the core they're really not any different. And time is no object when it comes to things like that.

Or maybe more correctly, the time invested is the object? ;) 8) :Thmbsup:-40hz (December 06, 2014, 07:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

The second one sounds about right. It takes years of practice to get that good at something. But when you get to watch people's faces go O_O ...It's totally worth it. Lately I've been playing around with some of the low speed precision riding techniques that the cops use for parade/drill team presentations. I've fried the clutch three times in a year practicing, but I can now flip a full lean U-turn in less than 20 feet (at ~10mph) on my full dresser pretty much at will ... And that's with the wife on the back.

Stoic Joker:
Okay... So it took a metric forever for me to finally get around to doing this...but it is now done.

The old Windows Server 2003 POP/SMTP has been officially decommissioned, and I'm now running hMailServer on Server 2012 std.

The hMailServer setup was completely painless, and the administration is about as self explanatory as it can get. I'm currently running full logging to see how much of what the built-in spam filter actually kills, and so far it's all good.

Ath:
 :Thmbsup: for the update, SJ!

And that easy part is just as predictedpromissed :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version