ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for Windows Email Server Options

<< < (3/7) > >>

40hz:
If you have serious security concerns, I'd probably forget about freebie solution for email.-40hz (November 29, 2014, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

My "security concerns" are why I'm self hosted. :D

-----------------------------------------

I'm from the less is more minimalist camp ...(I detest bells and whistles)... "Features" to me are just more holes to exploit.

-Stoic Joker (November 29, 2014, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't help but ask - if that's the case, why are you using IIs? :P

Stoic Joker:
Cripes, I completely forgot about this thread - Sorry guys.

Not everything is better with a web-interface...-Shades (November 29, 2014, 07:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Amen to that one ... PHPMyAdmin is really just a bad habit for me, because most of the time I'm working with a MySQL db it's on a web project...so I'm in web mode so-to-speak. I did use the workbench on one project - I forget which - and it is quite nice.

Been a long time since I posted, but I had to come back and post for this one.  It is too close to my experiences.  If it must be windows, I can't help you much, but if you are willing to stand up a linux/unix server (runs on Macs too), Dovecot is a winner.  Fairly simple to setup, low resource usage, runs great, support for both large and small use cases, designed for IMAP (though fully supports POP3), and VERY strong on security.  It's only drawback is it is ONLY for email...no contact management, no calendaring, etc.  All that is handled by the client side, which means no synchronization between clients.  Of course if that is what you are looking for.....-steeladept (December 01, 2014, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

I do have some comfort level issue with the Linux/Unix stuff, but I'm not ruling it out just for that. My main concern currently is getting some kind of spam filter on the SMTP server side of things. While I have had fun in the past seeing how much insanity is flying around out there, my inbox is now running at over 85% spam. So I gotta drive a stake through the heart of that little experiment as it's completely out of hand.

If you have serious security concerns, I'd probably forget about freebie solution for email.-40hz (November 29, 2014, 02:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

My "security concerns" are why I'm self hosted. :D

-----------------------------------------

I'm from the less is more minimalist camp ...(I detest bells and whistles)... "Features" to me are just more holes to exploit.
-Stoic Joker (November 29, 2014, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

I can't help but ask - if that's the case, why are you using IIs? :P
-40hz (December 01, 2014, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've been running an IIS web server since 1999 when Win2k came out. I've never had a problem with it. Like anything else, if it's set up properly it's perfectly secure...and if set up improperly, it going to start eating your children/dog/limbs/etc..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Given that most of the recommendations have been hMailServer...I do believe it would behoove me to try hMailServer ... So that is now the plan.

40hz:
I've been running an IIS web server since 1999 when Win2k came out. I've never had a problem with it. Like anything else, if it's set up properly it's perfectly secure...and if set up improperly,
-Stoic Joker (December 06, 2014, 10:48 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fair enuff. Next time I have a client that insists, I'll subcontract that part out to you. :Thmbsup:

Regarding spam...did you ever consider parking an Untangle Gateway in front of your e-mail? Not exactly tech-y to just buy something, but it's a quick and reliable fix if you're on a tight schedule. And if you don't feel like playing with the community version, $540 will get you the whole shebang with full support for 10 devices. To add the full (as opposed to the free) spam blocker to the community edition only costs $108.

I'm a big fan of Untangle. (Not affiliated - just for the record.)

Stoic Joker:
Regarding spam...did you ever consider parking an Untangle Gateway in front of your e-mail? Not exactly tech-y to just buy something, but it's a quick and reliable fix if you're on a tight schedule.-40hz (December 06, 2014, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's a bit too much the swatting a fly with a shotgun approach. I don't really want something blocking on all 65,536 ports when I'm really only concerned with shenanigans on a single port 25. But then again I tend to like keeping my router in a small plastic (WRT54G) box.

And if you don't feel like playing with the community version, $540 will get you the whole shebang with full support for 10 devices. To add the full (as opposed to the free) spam blocker to the community edition only costs $108.-40hz (December 06, 2014, 11:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wait, what... Spend money on something with licensing limitations?!? Good god man! ...The shear horror of the mere concept.(..eek!) :D

Currently the only thing I interested in throwing money at, is the retro classic custom Harley project I'm trying to get off the ground. I'm looking to do an old school sleeper drag bike out of an early 80's Shovelhead full dresser.

40hz:
^Works for me. If you value your time at $2/hr. I too take that approach with the stuff I'm actually interested in. ;D

And being the "employee of the week" in IT is no longer one of them. :P My job is just something I do - and which I'm pretty damn good at. :P

Spend money on something with licensing limitations?
-Stoic Joker (December 06, 2014, 02:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sometimes it's necessary. Or more practical. Or more expedient depending on the use case and the business environment in question.

When it is, it's time to deliver - not the time to take on a science faire project. But I'm thinking as a business owner here. Your situation may well be different. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version