ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for Windows Email Server Options

<< < (2/7) > >>

Ath:
hMailServer is used in our 400+ employee business 24/7 for some rather critical secondary mail-services, though not as the main mail server (that's Exchange, as is to be expected). It hasn't let us down in the 10+ years it's in use, all 'failures' can be accounted to configuration/human error, not software failure  :Thmbsup:

x16wda:
I've used small implementations of hMailServer several times for specific purposes. It ain't Exchange, but it works reliably and has a good bit of flexibility.

40hz:
...It's also a 4 day holiday weekend - which has been total shit, because -  I've got some kind of flu, and I'm feeling a bit old and tired of having to keep up with all of this shit.
-Stoic Joker (November 29, 2014, 03:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

If it's any comfort, I feel that way about it most days. Even without the flu. :tellme:

Feel better. :Thmbsup:

Shades:
vPOP3 (not free, 1 month trial) was a nice and capable mail server the 2 years I worked with it (around 2000). After that, it became PostFix (through several iterations of Ubuntu Server LTS) which is working for me since then.

And it runs happily on a 10-year old computer with a whopping 512MByte of RAM, located in a corner, managed by WebMin. Easy enough solution, no licensing hassles and very reliable. All in all I couldn't be happier.

PHPMyAdmin is great for web-based MySQL administration. However, if you have a need for a standard application to do MySQL administration I heartily recommend the latest version (6.4) of MySQL Workbench. The Community version is free, there is also an Enterprise version which Oracle will charge you for.

The mail server I just spoke about...I use it as internal web-server for a moderately used wiki and also runs a heavily used PostgeSQL server (and still the machine feels underutilized). Last week the dumps I make as backup of the wiki expanded from a regular size of around 15MByte to 1.3GByte.

The dumps I make I test in a VM (Ubuntu Server 14 LTS) and PHPMyAdmin couldn't import that dump anymore, reporting back to me that 'mysql went away'. I had an older portable version of MySQL Workbench already available, but that didn't work either. Which put a dent in my effort to see what was wrong on a backup server in order not to mess up my "production" machine. Database replication, cutting up the dump file in smaller "packages", so MySQL wouldn't choke on it...nothing worked.

But then I thought of updating MySQL Workbench and what a treat that was. It couldn't help with importing the dump file, but replication was as easy as pie and fast too. Under the stewardship from Oracle that software matured and improved immensely, I must say. It was rather easy to eliminate around 40.000 spam pages and 20.000 new accounts responsible for the spamming. And I am sure I couldn't have done it more efficiently with PHPMyAdmin.

Not everything is better with a web-interface...

steeladept:
Been a long time since I posted, but I had to come back and post for this one.  It is too close to my experiences.  If it must be windows, I can't help you much, but if you are willing to stand up a linux/unix server (runs on Macs too), Dovecot is a winner.  Fairly simple to setup, low resource usage, runs great, support for both large and small use cases, designed for IMAP (though fully supports POP3), and VERY strong on security.  It's only drawback is it is ONLY for email...no contact management, no calendaring, etc.  All that is handled by the client side, which means no synchronization between clients.  Of course if that is what you are looking for.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version