ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

2014-2015: Best tablet specs for ebook reading

<< < (9/13) > >>

wraith808:
I'm (hopefully) getting my computer tomorrow... if he's open to that Flip, then there are a *lot* of options that weigh in at a similar place.  It's a little heavier than the Flip, but not so much as the old days to be unusable in that configuration.

ewemoa:
In researching alternatives recently, I noticed that there are now some 10.1 inch tablets that are noticeably lighter than the Galaxy Tab 10.1 - 565 g (1.25 pounds) - he he, just me being out of touch :)

Some noteworthy ones:

Sony Xperia Tablet Z - 494 g (1.09 pounds)
  Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1 - 477 g (1.05 pounds)
  Sony Xperia Tablet Z2 - 439 g (0.97 pounds)
  Sony Xperia Tablet Z4 - 389 g (0.85 pounds) - supposedly to be released this month (2015-06)?

For comparison, the Sony Digital Paper is apparently around 358 g (0.79 pounds).

xtabber:
A 10.1 diagonal screen is approximately 5.5 by 8.5 for the side dimensions.

To approximate a letter size page, you need a 13.3 diagonal, which gives you approximately 8.2 by 10.5 for the sides, assuming a standard aspect ratio.

For ebook reading, including PDF, you really don't need more than 10.1, as long as the resolution is at least full HD (1920x1080). Higher resolution is better, of course.   For a 13.3 tablet to be used mostly as a reader, I'd really look for 2K (2560x1440).  Unfortunately, high resolution translates to high price.

ewemoa:
Have used a 10.1 inch tablet for some years now and am still not quite happy with A4 / Letter -sized (both? one or the other?) viewing.  Suspect that some of it has to do with the seemingly extraneous whitespace (e.g. from margins).  The cropping feature in some readers seems to help sometimes but also leads to awkward experiences at others.

Hopefully the upcoming 13.3 inch experience will further enlighten :)

Mark0:
Speaking of big tablet, this is kinda interesting:

MobileTechReview - HP Pro Slate 12 Video Review - 12" Android Tablet with Pen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version