ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Feature request: automatic OCR of captured images.

<< < (3/4) > >>

Lintalist:
I've had pretty good results with Tesseract actually - if you're going with the English 'fast' library data + the exe its only 7.8mb (other libraries are bigger and slower it seems but might produce better results). The tesseract.exe works just fine in 'portable' mode, no need to install it - just keep the exe + trainingdata file in the same folder. It can be slow if you feed it large image files but for screenshots it shouldn't take longer as a few seconds in my experience.

Of course the more languages you add the larger it gets and you may wish to offer some clear instructions and options to users how to add and handle them.

Nod5:
if you're going with the English 'fast' library data + the exe its only 7.8mb
-Lintalist (October 05, 2019, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Could you link to that binary? Or are you building from source? The latest Windows binary setup packages for V5 alpha from https://github.com/UB-Mannheim/tesseract/wiki are 40MB in size. The .exe can be extracted with 7zip to 200MB of files. I don't know how many of those files are redundant when only using tesseract.exe for plain simple command line image to text conversion.

Example screenshot
Feature request: automatic OCR of captured images.

Tesseract OCR result (took less than a second)

--- ---T've had pretty good results with Tesseract actually - if you're going with the English ‘fast’ library data + the exe its only 7.8mb (other libraries are bigger and slower
it seems but might produce better results). The tesseract.exe works just fine in ‘portable’ mode, no need to install it - just keep the exe + trainingdata file in the
same folder. It can be slow if you feed it large image files but for screenshots it shouldn't take longer as a few seconds in my experience.

Of course the more languages you add the larger it gets and you may wish to offer some clear instructions and options to users how to add and handle them.

wraith808:
Try tables and text on images, especially when the clarity is not there and the contrast is not great.  More complicated scenarios are where it started to fail for me.

Nod5:
Try tables and text on images, especially when the clarity is not there and the contrast is not great.  More complicated scenarios are where it started to fail for me.
-wraith808 (October 05, 2019, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---
Might need a preprocessing step with binarize and other transforms on image in such cases. Yes more complicated.

Lintalist:
@nod5 I use Vis2 - a AutoHotkey script to grab a screenarea which then does the OCR using Tesseract - if you look in the bin folder you'll see the exe and language files - https://github.com/iseahound/Vis2 - I also use that exe + language file(s) in batch files and other scripts to process image files and it works well enough.

Image on text is always going to be tricky - no doubt commercial software (which I also use) is better, I mainly use Vis2 to quickly grab a few paragraphs of text from locked PDFs which I can't be bothered to unlock or those pesky websites that find it a good idea to block select/copy using javascript. It's just a hotkey away and I have the text I need, simple & fast - and free :)

So the question is how many screenshots you are going to make with text on images or complex tables? My guess is not that many for most people. So even it works 50% of the time its worth a shot.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version