ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Clipboard Help+Spell

Feature request: automatic OCR of captured images.

<< < (2/4) > >>

IainB:
Yes, the ABBYY software seems really rather good at what it does.
As described in EPSON Perfection V330 Photo Scanner + ABBYY and ArcSoft software, I first came across it in the bundled software that came with that scanner.
The last time I had Acrobat was in its version 7, but I don't use it now and currently get .PDF OCR processing via a FREE software - see PDF-XChange Viewer ($FREE version) - Mini-Review.

My thought with the ABBYY ScreenshotReader was that it might be worth exploring to see whether it could be incorporated into the CHS process somehow, to meet the requirement for automatic OCR of captured images (those captured by CHS). This could be (say) upon the capture of each individual image, or perhaps as a post-capture batch process, or something. I had effectively been doing the latter - albeit manually - using OneNote, but the OCR capability of ABBYY ScreenshotReader seems to be superior to OneNote's OCR capability.

Added note: By the way, this is not to forget the very relevant point that any images in .TIF/.TIFF format can be automatically  OCR'd for text and indexed/searched by Windows Desktop Search, if you have the .TIFF iFilter installed. In my view, for client-based databases, this in itself could be a good reason for duplicating text-bearing images into .TIFF format.
Similarly, I gather that any/most images - i.e., not just those in .TIFF formats - which are stored in the Evernote "cloud" are OCR'd and indexed for searching, and .PDF imaged documents stored in Google Drive can be OCR'd and the text searched/extracted.

sphere:

+1 for this feature

I would also be interested in the OCR engine being hosted locally.   I came across a program that Screenotate that has open source roots.

I am not sure if I should start a new thread since this one is so old. Just wanted to chime in and say this is a feature that would interest me as well.

mouser:
what i need is someone to find me a free/open source OCR utility, that i can add a nice little tool button to SC and CHS to call.

Nod5:
There is always Tesseract
https://github.com/tesseract-ocr/tesseract
https://stackoverflow.com/a/26418458

Though I don't think there is a portable/"bundleable" Windows release of a recent Tesseract version. Only installers and they're many times the size of Clipboard Help+Spell.

wraith808:
Unless Tesseract has become a lot better since the last time I evaluated it against Abbyy, I wouldn't suggest it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version