ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thoughts on "Piracy".

<< < (2/11) > >>

superboyac:
I don't know where the notion of 'piracy' leaves off and 'entitlement' begins.

I decided it was better for my inner self if I just didn't go there.

* If I want something, or use something, I'll buy it.  Always.
* I'll always prefer to sample or trial some things first. But if that's not possible, the burden of my satisfaction rests entirely on the shoulders of the seller.
* If I don't like it - or feel it was misrepresented by the seller - I'll return it and ask for my money back.
* If I can't have a refund, the person I paid is welcome to what they got. It's the last they'll ever get from me - and I'll  bad mouth them to everyone I know plus anybody else who will listen.
* Conversely, if I do like what I get (and the way I was treated) I'll freely recommend them and their product(s) whenever asked, or when it's otherwise appropriate.
I make it a point to always act in good faith. And I make a far better friend and admirer than I do an adversary.

I think the same can be said of most of us here at DoCo.

Wise businesses know that.
-40hz (November 23, 2014, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Very nicely said.  clipped.

KynloStephen66515:
I don't know where the notion of 'piracy' leaves off and 'entitlement' begins.

I decided it was better for my inner self if I just didn't go there.

* If I want something, or use something, I'll buy it.  Always.
* I'll always prefer to sample or trial some things first. But if that's not possible, the burden of my satisfaction rests entirely on the shoulders of the seller.
* If I don't like it - or feel it was misrepresented by the seller - I'll return it and ask for my money back.
* If I can't have a refund, the person I paid is welcome to what they got. It's the last they'll ever get from me - and I'll  bad mouth them to everyone I know plus anybody else who will listen.
* Conversely, if I do like what I get (and the way I was treated) I'll freely recommend them and their product(s) whenever asked, or when it's otherwise appropriate.
I make it a point to always act in good faith. And I make a far better friend and admirer than I do an adversary.

I think the same can be said of most of us here at DoCo.

Wise businesses know that.
-40hz (November 23, 2014, 06:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't get me wrong...if I could afford to purchase software or games or whatever on the basis that I "may" like them...then I would...but quite simply, I do not have the money to do that, nor can I say that I could check all the features of Software within however long they are willing to give me a refund for...hell...Half the time I will install something and not even use it for 3 months...by which point I would be completely screwed.

I am not trying to advocate piracy..more...give my reasoning behind why I do it :)

Renegade:
I am not trying to advocate piracy.
-Stephen66515 (November 23, 2014, 08:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hehe! I am advocating it. :P

Here's why some pirating isn't "piracy"...

If you want to keep a secret... don't tell anyone.

If you broadcast a signal that anyone can receive, don't be surprised when they copy that signal.

If you broadcast radio waves through someone's home, you really have no right to complain about what they do with that unless you've taken precautions to encrypt the signal to keep people from accessing the content.

If you have a broken business model, fix it.

The fact remains that more piracy leads to higher revenues. (In the content industry.)

The current state of IP is such a complete disaster that there's really nothing that can be done other than to tear the whole thing down.

Should people be compensated for creating things? Sure.

Who should compensate them? The people that use/consume the creation.

But that's not what happens now, even without piracy. The MAFIAA taxes blank media. That's not just compensation because it steals from people who aren't consuming MAFIAA creations.

One. Big. Mess.

Burn it down.

KynloStephen66515:
The fact remains that more piracy leads to higher revenues. (In the content industry.)
--- End quote ---

Agreed...because...for me at least...If I didn't pirate first...then the chances of me buying a game, movie, or payware software...are close to zero :P

40hz:
I am not trying to advocate piracy..more...give my reasoning behind why I do it
-Stephen66515 (November 23, 2014, 08:26 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's fine. I also appreciate the candor. :Thmbsup:

I'm just giving my reasons why I don't. :)

But here's the thing. If I want something I don't have the money for - and it's non-negotiable - I walk away.

Once you get clear of the hoarding/consumer "gotta have it now!" mindset, it becomes easier to just let it go. I'm constantly amazed how little I actually need - or really want.

I'm even more amazed how long it took me to realize that. Better to wake up late than never, right? 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version