ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2015

<< < (5/9) > >>

hamradio:
Think you can also download the offline installers of JAVA...not sure about recent versions but use to the offline installers didn't have the offers.

Ath:
not sure about recent versions but use to the offline installers didn't have the offers.
-hamradio (November 25, 2014, 11:18 PM)
--- End quote ---
I'm quite sure recent versions have them, but you may have disabled the settings from the Control panel gadget that gets installed with the JRE. I only get the off-line installers, though I currently tend to no longer install a separate JRE (space-saver when having 3 installed JDK's).

TaoPhoenix:
I just had to make a Java update today.  The offer to install the Search App by Ask was still there, and checked by default. :(
-wraith808 (November 25, 2014, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

This confuses me because it *wasn't* there in my copy a few days ago!
Holy Schrodinger offers!
:tellme:

TaoPhoenix:
The offer to install the Search App by Ask was still there, and checked by default.
-wraith808 (November 25, 2014, 02:44 PM)
--- End quote ---
Oracle actually offers a solution for disabling those 'sponsor offers': https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/disable_offers.xml
-Ath (November 25, 2014, 03:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

This feels like a lawsuit-avoidance tactic. "Starting with version ... and ..." - and it's buried at the bottom of control panel / java / advanced?! /I didn't even know that control panel existed!

See my Fake Nany post in the basement - disabling and wiggling out of these offers is like a bad version of minesweeper! "Look! It's a game! If you win you can install only the program you wanted! But if you lose, you get to spend hours removing junk from your system!"

Ath:
I  agree with your objections and second your questions.
-Ath (November 25, 2014, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---
This feels like a lawsuit-avoidance tactic. "Starting with version ...
-TaoPhoenix (November 26, 2014, 02:35 AM)
--- End quote ---
The above combination makes me really wonder why in earth's name a big multinational, like Oracle pretends to be, has to include crapware for some infamous minority like "Ask" :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version