ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > N.A.N.Y. 2015

<< < (3/9) > >>

IainB:
...That's what I meant Iain, today it didn't seem to be there.
-TaoPhoenix (November 23, 2014, 03:40 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yes, I realised that. I was posting not so much to agree with you as to say that I thought it used to be there (until very recently).
By the way, I forgot to mention that, depending on the source one used to download Java/Flash from, it could make a difference as to whether it had a PUP installed.

TaoPhoenix:
--- End quote ---
Yes, I realised that. I was posting not so much to agree with you as to say that I thought it used to be there (until very recently).
By the way, I forgot to mention that, depending on the source one used to download Java/Flash from, it could make a difference as to whether it had a PUP installed.
-IainB (November 23, 2014, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh you're right, it def used to be there. It made one of my rants because it wasn't even a wrapper, it was "the official source" from Oracle, with stuff bundled into it. But today it seemed to be gone. (I say seem, because it didn't show me anything, and I don't see strange toolbars in my browsers, but you never know with Oracle! But one lil' ol' Angry Bird ... uh ... couldn't have been the only one screaming at them for bundling. )

wraith808:
--- End quote ---
-IainB (November 23, 2014, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

It was.  I always wondered how they got away with it.  And this was not getting it from a 3rd party... but as an upgrade direct.

pillbug:

IainB:
Saw this today and thought it could be of interest:
Unchecky Trusted Freeware download and reviews - SnapFiles.com
Prevent accidental installations of third party offers.
Unchecky is a small tool that can help you prevent accidental acceptance of third party sponsor offers during software installations. The program runs as a background service and monitors your software installations. If it detects any unrelated offers, it automatically unchecks them for you, so you don't accidentally install any unwanted software. We tested Unchecky with a handful of different installers and it worked particularly well with OpenCandy, AVG and some others (see our screenshots). Keep in mind that there are many different types of third party offers and installation schemes and Unchecky will not work with all of them - it missed a few during our tests. Nonetheless, Unchecky works well with most of the popular installers and uses very little resources. If you frequently find yourself overlooking third party offers and end up with unwanted toolbars or application, you definitely want to give Unchecky a try! The current version has a rather minimalist interface without any additional configuration options. We'd like to seem some logging features or notification options that keep the user informed of Unchecky's actions.

--- End quote ---

It is described briefly on the developer's website, and there's some interesting discussion/comment about it:
Unchecky v0.3
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
Introducing Unchecky v0.3!

The new version of Unchecky provides you with more visual feedback:

A tray icon is visible as long as the Unchecky service is running.
    When an offer is rejected, a notification message is shown (see screenshot below).

unchecky_0.3_notification_icon

Also, Unchecky v0.3 has an activity log, which was the most requested feature on UserEcho. You can see which installers were handled by Unchecky, how many offers were rejected, and how many warnings were displayed:

unchecky_0.3_activity_log
As you can see from the above screenshot, there are also social network buttons, which allow you to tell your friends and family about Unchecky. Please use them! We have great plans about Unchecky, and we need your help to spread the word.
Posted in Software, Updates by RaMMicHaeL at October 7th, 2014.
Tags: unchecky

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version