ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

View first unread in thread?

<< < (5/7) > >>

IainB:
Oh, sorry, yes. I would have mentioned it, but I assumed you would have already known that Google Reader was killed off some time ago.
I now use Bazqux reader, which looks just like Google Reader and behaves almost the same too. Only thing is, it cannot use the Google Reader Filter extension. I am wondering whether to rewrite the filter myself, or ask the developer to provide something that does the job.
The filter seems to be in Java script, and I am unfamiliar with writing that, but I could probably figure it out if I decided to give it the necessary time...

gri:
It occurs to me if you enter "none" it will be accepted.
-MilesAhead
--- End quote ---

I have tested such a choice.
It resulted in registration reject.

Can you declare which browser are you using ?

MilesAhead:
It occurs to me if you enter "none" it will be accepted.
-MilesAhead
--- End quote ---

I have tested such a choice.
It resulted in registration reject.

Can you declare which browser are you using ?

-gri (November 24, 2014, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

I am using Firefox.  But in any event on those Windows forums the specialized links, such as show unanswered posts, view first unread etc.. do everything with JavaScript search statements from what I can see.  If there is no new post since I last viewed the thread there will be no link.  I think it stores the post number I last viewed in each subscribed thread to make the View First Unread work.  For finding unanswered I suspect it does a query of threads with a post count = 1 etc..

MilesAhead:
Oh, sorry, yes. I would have mentioned it, but I assumed you would have already known that Google Reader was killed off some time ago.
I now use Bazqux reader, which looks just like Google Reader and behaves almost the same too. Only thing is, it cannot use the Google Reader Filter extension. I am wondering whether to rewrite the filter myself, or ask the developer to provide something that does the job.
The filter seems to be in Java script, and I am unfamiliar with writing that, but I could probably figure it out if I decided to give it the necessary time...
-IainB (November 24, 2014, 06:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

The little bit of dabbling I did with JavaScript I found a bit frustrating.  Enough time has passed that I forget the particulars.  But I think what bugs me about doing web is that even with scripting languages, not to mention compiled, you can set a variable value and count on it being there whereas the back button seems to undo everything.  It just seems like a frustrating medium for programming.  I don't like to use anything more complicated than target = _top.  :)

gri:
Here on SMF software
when you click the "new" icon in topic list -
the display of the updated thread is being positioned
with the first unread post at top of the screen
in the list of sequential posts.
Isn't it on your side ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version