ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

View first unread in thread?

<< < (4/7) > >>

MilesAhead:
This thread is sidetracked.  Since Mouser doesn't chime in I can only assume the board software somehow makes it awkward to implement or everyone is fine with a chain of new posts from mixed threads.  Either way it looks like no joy.

I guess I'll just switch to newest post at top of thread instead of chronological order.

wraith808:
This thread is sidetracked.  -MilesAhead (November 23, 2014, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed... and good for pointing it out.  And if it's not obvious, once clarified... I have no help for you.  :(

IainB:
Most forums have a "view first unread" button for threads.  I found one reference to pressing the "new icon" to show the first unread in the thread.  Bit I don't see the icon or anything that looks like it will view the first unread post.  I've been hitting "Go Down" then backing up..  kind of awkward.  Is there a button that does the View First Unread in Thread function?
-MilesAhead (November 21, 2014, 05:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

...I can only assume the board software somehow makes it awkward to implement or everyone is fine with a chain of new posts from mixed threads.  Either way it looks like no joy.
 guess I'll just switch to newest post at top of thread instead of chronological order.
-MilesAhead (November 23, 2014, 04:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Though it's neither a "button" nor a solution, the closest approach to a solution that I had for this same requirement was in Google Reader, which had  a rather good Firefox add-in - "Google Reader Filter", that was really handy on DCF where you could have lots of new posts on the same/different threads, interspersed with new topic posts. I managed to get it so that the filter displayed only the latest post in any ongoing discussion, thus, you only saw the latest post (with a prefix "Re:") or the first post of a new topic. This got rid of all the "noise" and greatly assisted skim-reading:

MilesAhead:

No.
I am Spacely Honest.
Because i'm a Human.

--- End quote ---

It occurs to me if you enter "none" it will be accepted.

MilesAhead:
Thanks for the tip on Google Reader.  I'll take a look.   :Thmbsup:

Edit:  Looks like they killed it
http://www.google.com/reader/about/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version