ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Google Contributor: A New (not so new) way to fund the web

<< < (2/2)

wraith808:
It sounds more like flattr than patreon to me.
-Deozaan (November 21, 2014, 12:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

There are several that do the same thing.  But yes, Patreon does the exact same thing as Flattr + more.  I support several websites through Patreon in exactly this manner.

I applied for a sign-up just to see how this actually works or they think it should work in practice...

TaoPhoenix:
According to this:

http://www.wired.com/2014/11/google-contributor/

In exchange for your support, you’ll see “thank you” messages where ads used to be—at least on the websites that participate in the program.
--- End quote ---

So let me get this straight, Google is going to be pushing you to cover your site in their ads, and then give people a way to throw some pennies at you in order to turn the ads into thank you images, and they take a cut of the money in the process?

This seems like an extremely cynical way to corrupt more sites into getting onto the google ad serving bandwagon, and just another step further down the road of ensuring that everyone is monetizing everything.
"Want people to be able to support your site? First cover it in ads, then we'll talk."
-mouser (November 21, 2014, 12:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

You're on to something, only Google threatens to make it non-niche.
A. Blanket ads
B. Pay to remove ads

Until now it was little experiments. But Google has the money to threaten to make it "normal".

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version